DISASTER HAS STRUCK : My USB is unreadable.

General games-related topics
dr beep

Re: DISASTER HAS STRUCK : My USB is unreadable.

Post by dr beep »

sirmorris wrote:That's great news. Sometimes I find that things are better second-time around anyway ;)
So true, in 3D MAZE I have the screendisplay, but I think I can improve it even more which could lead to a perfect screen or perhaps larger maze or cooridinates in numbers
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

The hardest game to code, 3D MAZE, has now the mazegenerator working and the hiresscreendisplay.
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

Spy vs Spy is now recovered and on more places kept
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

Whooey i was so looking forward to kicking that spy off the board !

Well done Dr Beep.
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
Prime

Post by Prime »

1024MAK wrote:One thing I learned about computers way back when, is to always have at least one back-up copy...
I'd go further than that and say the more disk surfaces* the data is on the better, even better if they are in physically distant locations.

If there's something that can take out both home and work**, my data is probably the least of my worries.

* or flash etc.
** Asteroid impact ?, Global Thermonuclear War ?

Cheers.

Phill.
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

Prime wrote:
1024MAK wrote:One thing I learned about computers way back when, is to always have at least one back-up copy...
I'd go further than that and say the more disk surfaces* the data is on the better, even better if they are in physically distant locations.

If there's something that can take out both home and work**, my data is probably the least of my worries.

* or flash etc.
** Asteroid impact ?, Global Thermonuclear War ?

Cheers.

Phill.
Right now,
On 2 computers, 1 Card and Mediafire.

So everyone here is determined to survive an Asteroid impact and/or a Global Thermonuclear War ?

BTW: I was thinking of a hires version in 1K of something like an Asteroid impact.
angus

Post by angus »

Ever since my ZX days I tried to keep at least two copies of everything...and even then it is frustrating trying to find them and load them after 30 years. I still haven't found any games that I wrote apart from one crappy slot machine game.

But these days, for anything important and especially photos and videos, I keep a backup to two external hard drives - one of which is kept away from home. That way at worst I will lose a month of photos. Although the 2nd external HD is only down the road, I figure any disaster big enough to destroy all 3 copies will likely take me with it.
RetroTechie

Post by RetroTechie »

In case of doubt: increase # of copies (and indeed, try to store physically apart, if possible in different buildings). Disk space (read: drives) is too cheap these days compared to the headaches of losing a lot of important / irreplaceable data (family photo's, self-developed software, etc).

Personally I'm done with optical media for backups - too unreliable especially when writing to them. On my primary drive I keep a sort of 'log' of new files to back up. I copy data onto an external hdd that I only attach when backing up. A subset of the most important files also goes to an USB key (normally with a reboot in between). And I never attach both backup media at once! (all this to minimize the chance of a crash or filesystem bug f**king up both drives at once). So when lighting strikes, those 2 backups should be safe.
Prime wrote: Global Thermonuclear War ?
No worries - that's only a game... ;)
siggi

Post by siggi »

RetroTechie wrote:
Prime wrote: Global Thermonuclear War ?
No worries - that's only a game... ;)
Yes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOPR

But not yet implemented for a ZX81.
dr beep ...... ?
;)
Siggi
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
http://zx81.ddns.net/ZxTeaM
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

I have found someone who often could recover data from broken devices.

His last recovery was a complete harddisk where he only lost the structure, but saved all data.

I asked him to recover 2 directories:
EightyOne with all .P files or
1K Fight with all sources.

Rest of USB is not that relevant.

Cross your fingers tonight!