Dancing Man Nostalgia

Anything Sinclair ZX Basic related; history, development, tips - differences between BASIC on the ZX80 and ZX81
BigPaw

Dancing Man Nostalgia

Post by BigPaw »

I dug out my old ZX81 with RAMPak still attached... they don't make double-sided carpet tape today like they did back then!

The ZX81 gave birth to my interest in animation, and my first experience of that was typing in a simple looped program I'm sure I saw in the ZX81 manual. It used the block characters to animate a little man dancing. It would not be difficult to write a quick program to do that same thing, but I'm looking for the original program which I thought was in the manual. The manual I currently own isn't the same one I originally got with my ZX81, so I'm wondering if there are different versions of the manual that was distributed with the ZX81?

Does anyone know if this program is in the original manual? If you have it could you post a snapshot of just the program, or the page(s) the program is on, please? I could write a version of the program myself, but I need a copy of THAT program, please?

Thank you for trying to grasp what I've written here and any help or suggestions. ;)
1024MAK

Re: Dancing Man Nostalgia

Post by 1024MAK »

Yes, there are different editions of the Sinclair BASIC programming manual. But apart from corrections to mistakes, I don’t think there are any significant changes like programs being dropped.

This is a HTML copy of the second edition manual http://www.worldofspectrum.org/ZX81BasicProgramming/

I have some other editions, but currently don’t have time to check them. See also this thread.

There are loads of other books about the ZX81 and the TS1000 (USA model). Are you sure it was the Sinclair BASIC programming manual?

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.