SPeccy ON the ZeddY

Anything Sinclair ZX Basic related; history, development, tips - differences between BASIC on the ZX80 and ZX81
zsolt

SPeccy ON the ZeddY

Post by zsolt »

This mail was sent to "ZX-MICROFAIR at ZX81 dot DE" on 13.04.2011, but there was no response.
I hope it's only because of a SPAM-filter.
Or is this theme outdated? If so, then pls remove the new topic!

Dear Zeddy Fans!

I am Zsolt Gaál from Hungary.

I got my first computer back in the fall of 1983. It was (of course) a ZX81. Therefore, when I found out that there are other enthusiasts out there keeping it alive, I was pleasantly surprised. So, for the 15th ZX-TEAM-Meeting (I wasn’t able to finish it for Zeddy’s birthday), please welcome my little present which you can find in the attachment.

The ZIP contains two files, SPONZY.ROM (which is a modified Spectrum ROM) and SPONZY_KBD.JPG, the latter shows how I ported the Speccy keywords to Zeddy keyboard.
(I’m not really keen on the layout of the Spectrum keyboard.)

For the sake of compatibility, I tried to keep every ROM entry point.

The „new” ROM has some additional features as well:

1. there’s the well-known improved version of the SQR function (Newton-Raphson method) in the code

2. you can switch (in runtime) to FAST mode with the

nnnn REM >=fast

command, where the „>=” is SHIFT+Y (!!) and „nnnn” is a line number. Whether you use the capitalized or the non capitalized version of the keyword is up to you. (e.g. „>=FAST” and „>=fAsT” are both good). Using this form of command, in case of running it with a Spectrum „REM” won’t effect its operation.

In case of an error or at the end of the program, (according to my expectations) it will automatically switch back to SLOW mode, which can be also activated through the program:

nnnn REM >=slow

3. you can invert the screen (printable area only, border not) with this formula:

nnnn REM >=invs

I already planned a SPONZY-hardware which expands Zeddy’s functionality (32K SRAM, 512K Flash, Kempston type Joystick interface), but it's not ready to use, so I was only able to test it on „EightyOne”.

With the help of the „Wav Loader” the Spectrum programs are readable and writable (LOAD/SAVE), and the programs saved this way are readable and runnable on emulated Speccy.

I don’t say it’s finished. I’m sure that there are some mistakes as well, but it’s at a stage where the more people see it, the better it is for further development. I will publish the source code with comments as well, as soon as possible.

Well, without further ado, enjoy!

Best Wishes,
Zsolt
(GZS)

p.s.: if you can run it on a real hardware, please write a few words to me about your impressions

EDIT: the attachment was removed. See the final version of SPONZY
Last edited by zsolt on Mon May 28, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ZX81 (8K), ENTERPRISE 128, [ZX SPECTRUM (48K,+,+128K,+2,+2A), TS1000, TS1500, TS2068, Cambridge Z88, PRIMO A64 (red)]
RWAP

Re: SPeccy ON the ZeddY

Post by RWAP »

Now that does sound interesting - how about uploading a video of it running in EightyOne :-)
Paul

Post by Paul »

About the email I am very sorry. we were extremely busy. I will investigate what happened with that.

Just tried it on eo.
Following hardware settings work:
ZX81, RAMPack 48K, soundcard disabled,chr$gen sinclair, Hires WRX, no drives, sponzy.rom writeprotect rom writes on everything else off

This is just a first test to get it running.
Please suggest any changes that encance capabilities.

It looks good and runs at reasonable speed.

Great work, can't wait to be back at home and write into an eeprom to test it on a real machine.

Cheers Paul.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Zschopower

Post by Zschopower »

Hi Zolt,

please excuse, it was me, who didn't answer, because I'm the organizer, the cook, the quartermaster and responsible for everything what happens to prepare and implement the meeting.

Peter
zsolt

Post by zsolt »

HI ALL,

to Peter:
No problem, this is the better version - accordingly this theme is not a "gnawed bone" yet.
to Paul:
I tried it too with same settings.
to Rich:
Video? Hm, my laptop is poor to run "EO" and a Screengrabber both... maybe on my Son's machine. (or with mobile?)

Till then, here is a little demo - run at first on EO/ZEDDY/SPONZY and then on EO/SPECCY.

Regards,
Zsolt
Attachments
SponzyDemo.zip
(11.55 KiB) Downloaded 448 times
ZX81 (8K), ENTERPRISE 128, [ZX SPECTRUM (48K,+,+128K,+2,+2A), TS1000, TS1500, TS2068, Cambridge Z88, PRIMO A64 (red)]
nama

Post by nama »

I was thinking to try to burn a real EPROM from this and try it on my zeddy. I have a multirom setup that can take 8 images on a 27c256. Presently I'm I have:

ZX81 ROM
ZX81_Improved ROM
Shoulders of Giants (sg81)
Tree Forth (Tree4th)
H4th
ASZMICE07 (4k - doubled)

So I have room for 2 more ROM images.

What are the chances SPONZY will work in a real ZX81 with 32k RAM? Apart from being hooked up to some extra hardware like ZX1541, voice synth card, I/O card, joystick card, Everything else is pretty standard (i.e. no Hires WRX)
Phil
nama

Post by nama »

Ah...I just realized that this is a 16k ROM image. Does anyone know if i Just fill up the last two 8k ROM slots on my 27c256 with this 16k rom image will the zeddy be able to access all of the 16k? I'm assuming this isn't possible, as that would be just too easy, and that's not what this hobby is about...right?

Phil
zsolt

Post by zsolt »

Szia Phil,
(Hi Phil)

SPONZY uses WRX for display, so you need a WRX-compatible (e.g. SRAM) memory in 16K-32K region.
Readed topic "ROM's again" I think your ROM-bank can switch by 8K only. :(

Üdv. (Regards,)
Zsolt
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

nama wrote:Does anyone know if i Just fill up the last two 8k ROM slots on my 27c256 with this 16k rom image will the zeddy be able to access all of the 16k?
Your decoding will need to take an extra address line into consideration, and the address line will need to be connected to the chip.

IIRC you use a13,14 & 15 on a switch to select the bank. Unless you change your wiring to put a13 on the chip to select 4 banks of 16k this won't work for you.

C
zsolt

Post by zsolt »

Sziasztok!
(HI ALL,)
RWAP wrote:Now that does sound interesting - how about uploading a video of it running in EightyOne :-)
The requested video is ready: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DLTOLEBrkI

The EO was a little bit slower (~35fps) because of screenrecording.
Did somebody try it already on a real hw?

Üdv. (Regards,)
Zsolt