An analysis on the game "The Labyrinth Of Minoas"

Anything Sinclair ZX Basic related; history, development, tips - differences between BASIC on the ZX80 and ZX81
xubuntu

Re: An analysis on the game "The Labyrinth Of Minoas"

Post by xubuntu »

Xav,
Why were the numbers -33 +33 chosen? Strategic importance? Numeric importance? Or can we swap them with any number?
:?:
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

xubuntu wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:07 am Xav,
Why were the numbers -33 +33 chosen? Strategic importance? Numeric importance? Or can we swap them with any number?
:?:
Xubuntu, just a question.
How long do you have a ZX81?

Anyone who has a ZX81 for longer time knows that a line on a full screen is 33 bytes (32 printpositions and a linefeed).
xubuntu

Post by xubuntu »

I have it like less than a year. Not used it more than 1 hour in total. I do my research on the emulator. It is a very interesting machine though. It has the "X" factor. My first computer was a 286. I am just 40, in my flowering age. Not ancient like you guys in here. :D

However, it seems to my tiny brain that it is not essential to keep the numbers as -33, 33. I presume that If numbers were -22, 22 for instance, the program would still work. Am I right?
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

xubuntu wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:44 am I have it like less than a year. Not used it more than 1 hour in total. I do my research on the emulator. It is a very interesting machine though. It has the "X" factor. My first computer was a 286. I am just 40, in my flowering age. Not ancient like you guys in here. :D

However, it seems to my tiny brain that it is not essential to keep the numbers as -33, 33. I presume that If numbers were -22, 22 for instance, the program would still work. Am I right?
You are both right and wrong. The ZX81 has a dinamic sized screen. in this game it is full size and then the step to go 1 line up or down is 33. when your screen would be size 21 columns your step would be 22.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

xubuntu wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:44 am Not ancient like you guys in here. :D
Hey, if I’m ancient, you are not that far behind. Young people age 25 and below think that 40 year olds are ancient :lol:

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

1024MAK wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:21 am
xubuntu wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:44 am Not ancient like you guys in here. :D
Hey, if I’m ancient, you are not that far behind. Young people age 25 and below think that 40 year olds are ancient :lol:

Mark
He probably don't remembers but we babysit xubuntu while playing 3D Monstermaze on the tellly.
xubuntu

Post by xubuntu »

Mark I was trying to be funny.

Mister bleep, the D variable in the game is not pictured on the map. The P variable is what holds the location of the player on the map.

The D variable just checks if the P variable is oriented horizontically or vertically. Then the game checks the side pixels of the P variable to see if they are black (so there is a wall) or white (so the player can move towards that direction). And then if D is equal to -33 for instance, it sets the new D to 1 if there is no wall aside, or back to -33 if the player can't rotate because there is a wall.

I don't think the numbers here matter. D variable could rotate from -13 to 1 and it would still indicate the same thing.

But then again No... I am wrong. D matters indeed. Because sometimes the D is added to the P, which means that when the player TURNS.. the new P points map location based on the D... that is why we see poke (P+D)..

hmm.. that game is genius... the most clever game I ever saw in Basic.....
Last edited by xubuntu on Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

xubuntu wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:37 am

Mister bleep,
Do you mind writing the correct name, it now looks like you still
are angry about me not responding anymore to your ROM-question.

Thanks.

DR BEEP
xubuntu

Post by xubuntu »

Genius game. I wonder why 3d maze was a hit and no one knows about this game instead. :roll: Perhaps because of the vietnamese?
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

xubuntu wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:37 am Mark I was trying to be funny.
So was I… :D

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.