ZXblast - ZX81 memory extension plus USB

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
balford

Re: ZXblast - ZX81 memory extension plus USB

Post by balford »

This prompted me to dust off my ZXBlast which was still at firmware rev. 0.9 :D

PokeMon - may I PM you about the procedure to update the USB controller manually? The Zeddy I was using to update the controller with ZXMUPD21.rom wasn't the most stable as it turns out...
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

I will check if this upgrade process can be more stable when adapting the hardware. Stay tuned. 8-)
metalh4mster

Post by metalh4mster »

Hi there again! After some time not using the ZXBlaster unit, I found out that the expansion board doesn't work anymore. The ZX81 powers up normally without the board; besides, once the ZXBlast is plugged and the ZX81 powered on afterwards, the video screen appears to be blank (no "K" cursor at the bottom of the screen).

I believe that it might be in an intermediate state regarding the reprogramming of both SST chip and Altera CPLD as well, with the USB method some time ago. How could I reprogram the CPLD chip to bring back the expansion board to life again? I have an Altera USB Blaster, but no board/adapter/interface for programming the CPLD itself. In my own lack of knowledge, any suggestion would be really appreciated.
Vorticon

Post by Vorticon »

Is the ZXblast still available anywhere?
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

The first version is not available any more, but it's creator PokeMon is working on an update with fewer bugs. However as this is a hobby project, real life has the first priority. So patience is a virtue. :)
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Vorticon wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:40 pm Is the ZXblast still available anywhere?
I just asked that question after reading about them!

I probably need to stop buying all of Pokemon’s keyboards and ZX8-CCBs so he has time to look at them. :?
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA