Use of FAST mode... for typing?

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
colinhoad

Use of FAST mode... for typing?

Post by colinhoad »

I was reading my ZX81 manual and enjoyed learning about the FAST and SLOW modes. It's adorable, genuinely. However, this line from the manual, regarding reasons to use FAST mode, has got me confused:

"...you are typing in a long program. You will already have noticed how the listing gets remade every time you enter a new program line, & this can get annoying."

Did the manual's author really think that having the program listing redrawn after each line was *more* annoying than having every single keystroke causing the screen to blink? If you're in FAST mode, that's the effect... so I am struggling to understand why "typing in a long program" would be a reason to put the machine into FAST mode! Did I miss something?
Paul

Re: Use of FAST mode... for typing?

Post by Paul »

Very easy: the longer the line becomes the more annoying it is to wait for the redraw of the line before typing the next character.
In fast mode you can keep typing and don't have to watch the screen while typing because the flickering can be recognised without watching the screen.
That makes typing much quicker.
Just try it out.
Make a long print statement with more than four lines of text
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
colinhoad

Post by colinhoad »

Thank you for the explanation! I did try it out, although I think because my ZX81 is outputting via a SCART composite lead, the total screen blackout after every keystroke in FAST mode (as the TV attempts to re-identify the SCART source) undermines the effect you are describing. I suspect the original UHF connection would have behaved differently, and so it's still useful to understand where the manual's author was coming from! Thanks again for clarifying :)
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

That's an effect of the automatic input selection (on the SCART) system.
When the ZX81 was designed and manufactured, it was intended to be used with the CRT TV's of the day. Which typically only had an aerial input socket.

Even when TV's started to get SCART sockets, they mostly had manual input selection (typically either via a menu of via an AV input selection button on the remote control or on the TV itself).

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer being good this year.
colinhoad

Post by colinhoad »

Thanks, Mark - that tallies up with what I'm seeing and makes perfect sense. If I had more space I'd probably look at getting a CRT (both for my ZX81 and my Beeb) but for now my trusty Sharp TV flatscreen will have to see me through - at least it still has a SCART socket, even those are a rarity nowadays!
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

It should also be noted that most modern TVs, including the later CRT models, also added 'no signal' detection. Then, when the display cannot detect a valid sync it switches to an internally generated 'no signal' picture.

Rather confusingly, this 'feature' may work differently on different inputs of the same TV, as well as between different brands/models/makes.

Someone created an extra circuit that takes the composite video from the ZX81 and automatically adds the missing sync pulses when the ZX81 does not provide them. Hence preventing the TV from switching between inputs or showing the 'no signal' picture.

However, I can't remember where I saw this project :roll:

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer being good this year.