ROM TAPE ROUTINES

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
gus

ROM TAPE ROUTINES

Post by gus »

HI to all,

Well I'm working on a piece of software and I need to Write(SAVE) and Read(LOAD) data from the TAPE recorder.
So I do look at the ROM and I found that I can use the OUT-BYTE routine. So in my program I do call the OUT-BYTE in a loop and can transfer the data to the tape :). I do several checks on the EO and XUR emulators, using the sound output and the normal output. And in both cases all is working fine...
And there is the big problem, I can use the IN-BYTE routine from my loop because this routine (if I'm right) takes the control and do not return. I can see that the routine end doing a normal LOAD funcion...
Well I think that if I can made a routine based on the IN-BYTE I can resolve the problem. I do it but I can test it on any emulator.
Someone do it before ?
Any help ?

Thanks Gus
sirmorris

Re: ROM TAPE ROUTINES

Post by sirmorris »

Hi Gus

I've looked over the tape routines and I admit I'm a little puzzled. I usually have to step through code to get a feel for how it works and this is code that doesn't lend itself to being stepped through ;)

I remember there being a toolkit which offered this facility - do you need to be able to use the ROM routines directly or would you be happy to have a toolkit loaded?

C
gus

Re: ROM TAPE ROUTINES

Post by gus »

Hi SM !!!

Well it's really hard (at least for me ) to follow the ROM IN-BYTE routine... and this is because some kind of recursion on it...
But I think that the ROM routine can be used ONLY for read entire programs.
I do check some programs that do read data files (High Res Package, ASZMIC ROM, and the tape routine that send me XAV) and in all cases there are routines very closer to the ROM routine. Then I take the tape's routine and adapt it to my needs. Now all is working :) :)

Thanks,
Gus