WIP - Why did the low-res pixel object cross the road?

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
bobs

WIP - Why did the low-res pixel object cross the road?

Post by bobs »

Crozxy Road:

Coming soon...
(more details on FB / Twitter)
Baggers

Re: WIP - Why did the low-res pixel object cross the road?

Post by Baggers »

Looks awesome Bob, can't wait to see it in action! :D
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

Yeah, looking great.

Is this what you have been calculating the last days?

Just a thought.
When you would make it a vertical mover and you would alter the default screen display to go 1 Tstate out of sync you would get the same effect.
bobs

Post by bobs »

dr beep wrote:Yeah, looking great.

Just a thought.
When you would make it a vertical mover and you would alter the default screen display to go 1 Tstate out of sync you would get the same effect.
Sorry, but I'm not entirely sure what you mean by any of that? is that some changing of the display routine to perform the scrolling / offsetting?
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

bobs wrote:
dr beep wrote:Yeah, looking great.

Just a thought.
Sorry, but I'm not entirely sure what you mean by any of that? is that some changing of the display routine to perform the scrolling / offsetting?
You have the ROM printing routine in lowres. However if you point to your own lowres routine you can code it faster than the default ROM routine and add more columns in lowres to the screen. But when you make your routine that after 4 lines you shift the start of your display the next line can be displayed diagonally without making an actual diagonal screen. I did something similar in hires with Qbert. The display is like this

Code: Select all

2 2
3 3 3
4 4 4 4
5 5 5 5 5
6 6 6 6 6 6
7 7 7 7 7 7 7
but the display is done shifted to the middle

Code: Select all

2 2
    3 3 3
   4 4 4 4
  5 5 5 5 5 
 6 6 6 6 6 6
7 7 7 7 7 7 7 

This can also be done in lowres.
bobs

Post by bobs »

The game is somewhat too far advanced for the retro-fitting of such a technique, but the additional logic required to determine the offset positions and sprite drawing could become a little difficult. Thanks for the idea though.
hldswrth

Post by hldswrth »

Looks great, and an unusual perspective for a ZX81 game. This did ring a bell - not sure if you've seen this one, but a game from 1982 with a very similar look - City of Xon by Pleasantrees.
ZX81 and TS1000 Tape, Book and Hardware Collection: www.zx81stuff.org.uk
bobs

Post by bobs »

hldswrth wrote:Looks great, and an unusual perspective for a ZX81 game. This did ring a bell - not sure if you've seen this one, but a game from 1982 with a very similar look - City of Xon by Pleasantrees.
The choice of perspective comes from the original game - I'm just trying to bring it back in time by 33 years!

As for City of Xon, I'm really not a fan - I think it looks a somewhat clumsy. I'd always choose Ant Attack '81 & One Little Ghost over any other isometric games on the ZX81 - but I'm biased!! ;D

For a video of the game in action, take a look on my Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/bobs.stuff/vid ... =2&theater (you'd don't need to be a member to view it)

And for more day-by-day progress, and some more images and animating GIFs of the game's progress, take a look on Twitter - https://twitter.com/bobsstuffgames (and follow me if you have an account)

Bob.