Creating TeleText?

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
1024MAK

Re: Creating TeleText?

Post by 1024MAK »

Andy Rea wrote:i think it would be prudent to use an FPGA, or maybe a microcontroller ( avr , pic, propeller, ect ) with much faster clock rates that shod allow one to create any arbitrary waveform with the appropriate bitstream to create a teletext page.
I'm sure at least one (maybe more) micro-controller projects already exist. Sorry, I don't have a link.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

dr beep wrote:How often could you 'refresh' the content of the page.

If frequently you can indeed use the settings of teletext as a screen and resolution.
This is not easy reading for me, but seems like a whole tele text screen can be fitted per frame.
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

mrtinb wrote:

If frequently you can indeed use the settings of teletext as a screen and resolution.
This is not easy reading for me, but seems like a whole tele text screen can be fitted per frame.
Exactly, thus all kind of gameplay is possible.
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

(when it works the emulators must get add a TELETEXT screen)
As far as I know one page is transferred per frame in the top margin lines.
So about 50 pages per second, the TVs do it in a round robin manner but you could also decide to update only one single page (100 for example) or (as many stations do) update 100 every one or two seconds to get a faster picture while transferring the rest in other frames. I am a big fan of teletext and very important is to have a TV which can store 1000 pages or so. I hate waiting for a page to be transferred in memory page by page. This can take up to 10 seconds when changing pages without sufficient teletext memory.
Buka

Post by Buka »

"The Earth is just too small and fragile a basket for the human race to keep all its eggs in." ― Robert Anson Heinlein
Elektronika MK61, Psion series 5mx have now. Many years ago had Spectrum 48, 128k/TRDOS and Amiga A600 ...
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

This thread is about teletext (in TV) not Telex (!) or teletypewriter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teletext# ... xt_100.png
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

I thought that maybe the Max Demo was the solution, as it had greater resolution (320x240). But it seems Teletext needs a resolution of 360 pixels.
http://www.bighole.nl/pub/mirror/homepage.ntlworld.com/kryten_droid/teletext/spec/teletext_spec_1974.htm wrote:1.2 Data Line Structure

Each Data-Line comprises 360 bits which may be considered as 45 eight-bit bytes.
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube