LARKEN UTILS

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
gus

LARKEN UTILS

Post by gus »

Hi,

I'm learning about the Larken Disk System for the ZX81 and like I think a good way to learn is by doing :) I start the development of some utilities in order to expand and complement the original Larken DOS.

Each tool is developed using a mix of Machine Code and Basic so you can take the MC routine and call it from your own program. I think it's very clear to figure out how to use it and in any case you can drop me a line.

Actually I do all my development and test on XUR release of VB81, this is the version developed and maintained by XavSnap and has a very good emulation of the Larken Disk System

In the attachment you can find a disk image called LarkenUtils.img with the first tool (rename command) and like you can guess by his name let you just rename a file (*) :)

(*)I use a shortcut here. Let me explain it better: LDOS write the file name on the Directory area and on each block used by the file. In this first version (RENAME.B0) I'm changing only the Directory Entry. You can test it and confirm that LDOS do not notice the diferrence, so we can list the directory (DIRE) and LOAD the file without any trouble. Anyway I doing a version that writes all the blocks in order to maintain the disk content in form (thinking on a future undelete command)...

Have fun !
Gus

Somebody own a real Larken System ? maybe ANDRE ? so we can check on the real hard ???

Right row I'm working on a complete Disk Editor then I will go for undelete, copy and diskcopy commands :)
Attachments
LarkenUtils.rar
(1.29 KiB) Downloaded 464 times
gus

Re: LARKEN UTILS

Post by gus »

HI,

Here is a new command for the Larken DOS :)

The command is diskcopy (file name "dcopy.b0") and let you duplicate a entire disk if you have 2 floppy disk units, that's very cheap on your emulator :) . You do not need to format the destination disk.
I do it in BASIC so it's easy to modify. I try to comment (REM lines) in order to let anybody to figure out how it works ;)
I must Include a couple of little CM routines in order to BACKUP and RESTORE the LDOS buffer in a BASIC variable because the Larken System clears the buffer when you change the active disk...
I test it on VB81_XUR (and confirm this behavior via the useful binary editor) but I can't check it on EO or in real hardware. So if someone like to check it please just remove the BACKUP and RESTORE calls to see what happen...

Enjoy it (the programs and my poor english ;) )

Gus
Attachments
LarkenUtils.rar
(2.12 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
jegs2

Post by jegs2 »

If I can get the DIVIDE I ordered from the UK to work on my TS 2068, may give up my now defunct LarKen FDD. It came with a ROM that slides into the TCC slot, a twister board, a stacked pair of 3.5 FDDs, a few disks loaded with software, a printed manual, and a large power supply.

When I first got it about nine years ago, it worked beautifully. Over time, it became sporadic, sometimes working and sometimes not. Took out and cleaned all the contacts, and so it worked again ... for a while. Moved several times, and since then have not been able to get it to work again.

If I can find a way to upload photos here, I'll put them up so folks can see them.
gus

Post by gus »

jegs2 wrote:...

If I can find a way to upload photos here, I'll put them up so folks can see them.
Hi,
I will be nice to see the pictures :) you just need to use the "Upload attachment" tabs on the bottom of the Post Reply window.

Gus
jegs2

Post by jegs2 »

gus

Post by gus »

jegs2 wrote:Here you go.
Wow !!!
That's a really good Timex / Larken couple :)

Do you know if the interface works with the Timex 1000 too ?

Gus
jegs2

Post by jegs2 »

Unfortunately, my old LarKen FDD no longer functions, so I've not way of testing it with my T/S 1500.
Ælfstangard

Post by Ælfstangard »

Hi....

My dad was a personal friend of Larry Kenny who developed the LarKen system. According to him, Larry developed a version of his system for the Timex/Sinclair 1000 which was the computer he originally designed it for but it should also work for the ZX81 because the DOS was burned into a chip on a separate board. I can possibly dig up a digital copy of the user manual if you are interested.

Hope this helps,

Ælfstangard
pterodactyl

Post by pterodactyl »

I have two of the TS1000 types somewhere in the garage! Will they work with 3.5" disks? I have some old 5.25" disk drives somewhere... probably also in the garage. :D
Jose_Leandro

Post by Jose_Leandro »

Hi

I have a working larken disk interface for TS1000 / zx81. It was a present from superfo :-)

I have a article about it ( sorry, in spanish)

http://hardware.speccy.org/temp/zx81-larken.html

As you can see, zx81 is smaller that 5 1/4" driver XD XD XD

bye

José Leandro