My new baby!

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
Paul

Re: My new baby!

Post by Paul »

sirmorris wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:18 pm I keep considering it. Is a joystick a real must-have do you think?
After forcing every programmer to add ZXPand joystick support even into 1K games - yes this IS a real must!
:mrgreen:
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Paul wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:08 am
sirmorris wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:18 pm I keep considering it. Is a joystick a real must-have do you think?
After forcing every programmer to add ZXPand joystick support even into 1K games - yes this IS a real must!
:mrgreen:
Luckily the tracker and my other music software don't need such fripperies, turbosound anyone?! :lol:
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

What about if I put a header on the board so that peeps can connect one of these:
extender.jpg
extender.jpg (18.35 KiB) Viewed 3416 times
The connector will use only 1/4 of the space occupied by the db9. It will also de-couple the joystick connector from the zxpand, which should reduce the potential for wobble. You can get these really cheaply - it's just the old PC serial port connector. They come with a blanking plate but it's super simple to remove.
Chad

Post by Chad »

sirmorris wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:18 pm What about if I put a header on the board...
I like that plan!

Chad
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

yeah i'd go for that Mr C , those that want it no problemo, those that don't well a little header isn't really a huge problem is it.

regards Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
Paul

Post by Paul »

Yes that's fine.
I'd like the header to be 90 degree so we can plug the cable in and out without opening the case if that is possible. kind regards Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

The extra cable idea looks good - it don't want to have to revert to using the keyboard to try and escape the clutches of Rex!
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

OK, having discounted mounting the db-9 connector directly (takes too much area, has a huge flange, stand-offs and too tall) I have settled on the 2x5 box header. With that I've identified (at least) 2x2 options.

* Compromise the looks of the board in favour of retaining compatibility with existing memotech cases.
* Make the board a bit prettier by moving the reset button which will break compatibility with MT cases.
x
* Make the connector sit at 90 degrees as per Paul's suggestion
* Leave the connector perpendicular

There are also 2 options for the 90 degree connector.

* Flush with the edge of the PCB
* * will only require end cap modification if JS is requires
* * looks a bit gnarly around the reset button area

* Extending slightly past the end of the board
* * looks a bit nicer and keeps reset button in place
* * will require end cap modification for MT cases

Now that I've written it down I see that pretty much all options require mods for MT cases. The 90 degree options 'only' require end cap mods, so this gives it the lead. No pun intended. I think I'll concentrate on this option.

I hope I don't seem fixated on MT cases but I think I need to consider existing users. Especially as they are possibly feeling guilty having gutted what was once a desirable item :D

At the moment it's just a case of how far I'm willing to compromise. No pun intended. Most peeps will wonder why the look of the board is such a big deal for me, but anyone who's spent any time with a CAD package ensuring all the smd caps are oriented the same way to make soldering easier or checking that all the wire junctions are suitably mitered (sic) will understand.

On another note I've been in contact with Mike who makes the 3d printed cases and he's happy to adapt to what I come up with, which is most accommodating. I don't think anything too radical will come out of this so we should be OK. People who have his existing MT-style case will just need a replacement end cap. Which is nice.

I'll post some renders later.

C
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

So this is the almost certainly rejected pretty one. The connector is nicely placed, symmetrical..
opt2.png
(50.16 KiB) Downloaded 226 times

And this is the most practical but somehow strangely offensive one that I'm thinking is the best idea:
opt3-mtc.png
(50.53 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
My problem with it is the proximity of the header - which faces off the board to the left, and the reset button. There is no personal space around the button.

Oooh I've literally just had an idea. You can get right angle tact switches. What if I point the reset button 90 degrees off the board too? Place it above the JS port. Seeing as we already need a new style end cap then it won't matter if there's one hole in it or 2. My intention is to maintain compatibility but perhaps this is a suitable compromise?

... Be right back.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

OCD when designing PCB layouts :shock:

I'm just greatful when I can get everything to fit....!

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.