My new baby!

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
Paul

Re: My new baby!

Post by Paul »

sirmorris wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 5:42 pm
Paul wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 6:36 am And we could use a litte more RAM.
I considered this but for most users 64k RAM is not necessary, and to be of any use the user would have to modify their zeddy to implement some kind of m1-not circuit.
This is wrong not completely right. IF you are having RAM from 16K to 48K then you are nearly right. Pokemon showed a method of running machine code above 48K without any modification if you respect BIT 6. This gives you only half the opcodes but still very useful for programs which will be developed soon :mrgreen: . You could call a zeddy a RISC machine above 48K (Reduced Instruction Set Computer) :geek:
Here you go even moggy EVERYBODY is able to run programs above 48K and without any software tricks there can still be data there like games levels etc.
And IF you select CONFIG M=L then there is always some RAM missing between 40K and 48K where it could be useful.
By the way, did I mention MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI already? :mrgreen:
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Moggy

Post by Moggy »

sirmorris wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 7:59 pm midi? what's that?

I'll just leave this here, I'm off out for the evening.
OOOO You little tinker you!!

I was ready to unleash my hit cat "Mr Chuckles" but you have pulled yourself back from the brink so it would seem.
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (17.12 KiB) Viewed 3514 times
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Serious hat on.

Nice one Charlie I actually understand what's going on there, well done sir. :D
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

It's twins!
IMG_3538.jpg
(1.44 MiB) Downloaded 348 times
Turbo built-in. The adapter board is really-really-i-literally-made-mine-during-my-lunch-hour-simple. Works with all the CPLD and firmware as-is.
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

Congratulations! I just hope they don't keep you awake screaming slightly out of sync....
siggi

Post by siggi »

sirmorris wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 7:27 pm It's twins!

IMG_3538.jpg
Ah, I see: redundant hardware to support a fail-safe MIDI interface :mrgreen:

Siggi
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
http://zx81.ddns.net/ZxTeaM
DanDoore

Post by DanDoore »

I'm struggling with the autoboot on my lovely new ZXPP - I have commander 1.8 as MENU.P on the card, if set as CONFIG "C=FF" then I have to hold shift to boot - no problem, but it doesn't change with CONFIG="7F", I still have to hold shift to boot the commander :?

Is there anything I need to do other than this or any pitfalls?
Dan Dooré

The huge ever-growing musty pile of stuff that comes from the centre of the Retroworld
ZX80, ZX81, Spectrum 16K/48K/+/128K+/+2/+2A/+3, Sam Coupé
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Aaaah yes - this is a known issue. You will need the first firmware update :oops:

V1.01 restores the autoboot facility that I accidentally broke when I commented some code out whilst debugging.

I will post this soon - I was holding back until it was noticed 8-)

I will start a new thread in announcements.

C
DanDoore

Post by DanDoore »

sirmorris wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:14 pm Aaaah yes - this is a known issue. You will need the first firmware update :oops:
Ha ha! I'm actually glad as I thought I was about to have to hand back my retro geek credentials and start colouring in cells in Microsoft Excel instead :lol:
sirmorris wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:14 pm I will start a new thread in announcements.
\o/

Cheers!
Dan Dooré

The huge ever-growing musty pile of stuff that comes from the centre of the Retroworld
ZX80, ZX81, Spectrum 16K/48K/+/128K+/+2/+2A/+3, Sam Coupé