My new baby!

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
sirmorris

Re: My new baby!

Post by sirmorris »

You know it ;) Here's a version with a side-facing reset switch. I quite like it.
ocd.png
ocd.png (39.15 KiB) Viewed 3472 times

And one with the button on top.
ocd2.png
ocd2.png (39.43 KiB) Viewed 3467 times
dasteph

Post by dasteph »

I like the last (I just had an idea) idea the best. If you take that option would it better to then use a right angled pcb mount db9, if that fits on the PCB?

The trouble with the box header at the end of the board is that the externals become messy. A ribbon cable with a bd9 connector attached to a joystick etc.

Conversely, the best thing about a box header not at the end of the board is it gives a case designer case modifier the luxury of choosing where to put the external connection. On the original ZXpand, the pads allowed a similar functionality to a box header, which at least I found useful when modifying one of Mikes original enclosure designs, see my blog: https://goo.gl/B2yuTS (Feel like I keep pimping my own site, but the pics are probably better there than posing again here).

In all cases above though, if you're concerned that to many modifications have to be made to memotech case, I'm not sure that's much of an issue. The end caps of the memotech cases are removable plastic panels (is that correct, I don't have one), new versions of these could be 3d printed (even at shapways prices not so expensive) with the needed ports / holes.
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

It is of course more economical tp place the reset switch above the joystick connector and not below as it could be better reached. ;)
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

I've got a number of DB9 sockets of various types here and without exception they're all way too big. Unwieldy. They were fine on the AY board as that had a scale of its own, but somehow they dwarf the unadorned 'spand.

I understand the concern about the flying lead but as it's removable it's not going to be flapping around when it's unneeded. Imagine, if it helps, that it's part of the joystick rather than part of the 'spand..!
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

@ dastepth.

"The end caps of the memotech cases are removable plastic panels"

Nope Aluminium or Aluminum for our friends over the water. :D
dasteph

Post by dasteph »

@ moggy
All aluminium (I'm rather further and across a much wider pond), talk about spare no expense on the memotech cases, wow.

@ sirmorris
What ever works best for your design of course is the best solution :-). As the box header is through hole, it's no issue to add internal connections if one wants to, I can always placate my own slight OCD needs in other ways via case design that way with something like this https://goo.gl/8NrfuM (a rather early concept image).

Would it be possible to get the PCB and component layouts? I'd quite like to give some case designs a go.

Anyway, it's excellent news that external ports will be available :-)
Chad

Post by Chad »

sirmorris wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:02 pm I've got a number of DB9 sockets of various types here and without exception they're all way too big.
How about if the SD card was replaced with a micro SD, allowing everything to slide over and creating more space at the joystick end...?
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Unfortunately sliding over a bit isnt really an option. I would have liked it to be but, you know - routing. The address and data lines would need to be bent over and this would complicate matters enormously.
routing.png
routing.png (9.33 KiB) Viewed 3398 times
While the db9 idea is compelling I have to weigh up cost vs complexity, aesthetics vs appropriateness and stability.

I'm now concentrating on the stability aspect. I like the fact that the flying lead will insulate the board from wobbles caused by tension in the j/s cable. Perhaps I'm overstating the importance of that though? I suppose adding a db9 would mean that I don't have to source/supply the cables..

I'll look at 90 degree db9s again.

:?
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Not having attempted to put a ZXpand in a Memotech RAM pack case (one, because mine have the AY board on the back and two, all my Memotech RAM packs work and I just can't persuade myself to scrap a perfectly working unit) I come at this problem without having a clue how much spare there is to play with.

Anyway, getting to the point, what about using a solder bucket straight 9 pin D connector mounted edge onto the board (where the pins for each row go either side of the PCB)?

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Ahaaaa yes I know that solution :D

Simple but ugly as feck :D