ZXpand+ manual now online

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
sirmorris

ZXpand+ manual now online

Post by sirmorris »

I'm trying something different for the new boy's manual :D

I'm hosting the manual in wiki form over at GitHub. It will live alongside example code and such things as the PCB design for the Turbo-AY board and midi breakout connector..!

It would be great if you fine peeps would have a gander and offer any criticism, especially any areas which may need inclusion or elucidation :ugeek:

Loveyoubye.

C
nollkolltroll

Re: ZXpand+ manual now online

Post by nollkolltroll »

Had a quick read-through, and it looks really good!
I especially like that it is all on a single page, makes it easy to save to local storage. I'll return some specific comments about updates to the content.
/Adam
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Thanks, that's exactly what I want and need! Adam - do you use GitHub or similar? I'm wondering if I could host your demo programs in some form? If you're a GH user I can add you as a collaborator.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Looks really good.
But how can I access GitHub via ZXPand? :shock:

Does GitHub offer a non encrypted view that I could access with ZeddyNet?

Kind regards Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

You can use ZEDIT.P to read TFM from SD Card directly on your underlying hardware. 8-)
siggi

Post by siggi »

But only if
- TFM is plain ASCII text, formated in MAC format (line terminated by only <CR>)
- fits into the remaining ram above 32k (8k or 16K, depending on CONFIG)
and is terminated by a null-char ;-)

But probably ZEDIT will not run on ZxPand, because it has its stack next to 64K, where ZxPand does not have ram :o

So a non-encrypted pure(*) HTML-file, which could be read by ZeddyFox, would be the better solution :mrgreen:

Siggi

(*): no Java, Java script and other embedded nonsense. Except BASIC-programs :mrgreen:
Last edited by siggi on Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
http://zx81.ddns.net/ZxTeaM
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Why not make the manual a simple .p file showing the instructions with several PRINT statements per screen and some INKEY$ action to handle scrolling. If it is not too much text it could be an option (nollkolltroll talked about one page not specifying page size and font size by the way :mrgreen: ).
Paul

Post by Paul »

Karl, do you understand the theory of an ONLINE-Manual? :shock:
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

I understand first, that an online manual is mainly a theory. ;)
What helps an online manual which is not updated regularly ?
I think the team behind Charly is not so big for adding weekly new features and document them.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Well, I have some documents from your team (not that much bigger i suppose) that are outdated and were never updated although new versions are available. :mrgreen: