AY-3-8910 (AY/YM) music generation?

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
daveZX4th

Re: AY-3-8910 (AY/YM) music generation?

Post by daveZX4th »

Glad to hear it. :D

Attached all of them, with dates same as STC files.

Only 18/1513 would not decompile, and 16 of them were due to too many pattern lines - SNG file max is 64 per pattern. Though STC player will cope with them OK.
Attachments
BIGSNG.zip
(1.65 MiB) Downloaded 275 times
daveZX4th

Post by daveZX4th »

Moggy wrote : Again excellent work which hopefully will inspire others to create new music

I must admit I found Andy's ZX81 SoundTracker much easier to use than Spectrum original. Waiting for pointer movement and getting it exactly in right place was tedious, and put me off using it in the past. Andy's use of simple button navigation is quicker.
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

wow.... daveZX4th knows his stuff huh :mrgreen: fabulous work i am also most grateful as it gets the cat off my back for a short while

regards Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

I recalculated the note table for the zeddy's clock so the playback matches the speccy version tonally, if anyone's interested. Did I send it to you Andy?
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

@Andy
streaming audio :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Last edited by Moggy on Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

sirmorris wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:13 am I recalculated the note table for the zeddy's clock so the playback matches the speccy version tonally, if anyone's interested. Did I send it to you Andy?
Just tried a few files in Vortex tracker (which seems a popular choice) set for Spectrum mode.
The same files played back on a Zeddy are at least 2 semitones lower in pitch which might explain why some of the tunes created on the Spectrum sound a bit crap on the 81 especially the more grunty bass end found in the turbo stuff.

Set Vortex for Zeddy mode and both Vortex and Zeddy sound same pitch wise.
I assume this is what you mean by tonally?
In which case anything that makes these files play at the original correct pitch would be most welcome though I have some doubts about how well the envelopes (buzzers as referred to by some) would transpose as they are a hit and miss affair pitch wise at the best of times. :D
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

sirmorris wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:13 am I recalculated the note table for the zeddy's clock so the playback matches the speccy version tonally, if anyone's interested. Did I send it to you Andy?
#
Yes, Yes you did :D

I Have been a little un zeddy lately... but i guesss my mojo will return sometime

Regard Andy
swensont

Post by swensont »

I've never used a soundtracker and I'm interested in tinkering with Andy's ZX81 SoundTracker. Is there any manual? I've found a series of articles on soundtrackers on the Spectrum for ZXFormat magazine, but it is heavy reading. It would be nice to have an example of taking some sheet music and converting it to play on the ZX81. I've already got my sheet music picked out :-)

also DaveZX4th, on the converting STC to SNG, there are some of us that do both QL and ZX81 and I think posting our SuperBasic code (if you don't mind) would be useful.

Tim
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

Our Friend and AY music master Yerzmyey made some instructions

https://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/6668 ... tion-ayym/
daveZX4th

Post by daveZX4th »

Hi Tim,

I'll tidy my ZX81 STC/SNG programs so they don't require my QL set up. I've also done programs to list completely contents of STC & SNG files, which make it easier to peruse song and samples/ornaments.

Re ZX81 Tracker, I've only used it on EightyOne since (IIRC) it needs ZXpand for filing. My ZX81 is far from ZXpand'able so it would be interesting if it is possible to hook filing calls to elsewhere (Tape, UART etc).