New game - VIRUS - work-in-progress...

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
RWAP

Re: New game - VIRUS - work-in-progress...

Post by RWAP »

I just had a go at a very similar Spectrum game to this - Into the Eagle's Nest
bobs

Post by bobs »

RWAP wrote:I just had a go at a very similar Spectrum game to this - Into the Eagle's Nest
Guilty as charged - a big influence. :)
nama

Post by nama »

Just for testing purposes, would you be able to add a key that will take you to the extra levels so you don't have to fight you way through each level to test...would help a lot.

Phil
bobs

Post by bobs »

nama wrote:Just for testing purposes, would you be able to add a key that will take you to the extra levels so you don't have to fight you way through each level to test...would help a lot.

Phil
I didn't realised I had a tester! I though you guys were just playing it for fun?
bobs

Post by bobs »

WIP build updated - 2010032801 - same link as before.

Build has the pause key, cheat-code system, various code optimisations, and 2 new levels.

All feedback greatly received.
nama

Post by nama »

Maybe I'm just stupid, but how does the cheat code work and what does it do?
bobs

Post by bobs »

nama wrote:Maybe I'm just stupid, but how does the cheat code work and what does it do?
Allows you to type in an eight character cheat code. Try "DELTA " (note the three trailing spaces) to start the game at the fourth level. If the code is not valid it will immediately disappear from the screen. If it is valid it will remain on-screen for a short while.
bobs

Post by bobs »

I've put a new build up (2010033001) with a couple of bugs fixed (hopefully!), added a skill-level (which controls the speeds of the enemies), and reduced the code a little (~400 bytes) in order to try and get my dream eight levels in.

People have been asking about the cheat-codes - they're eight characters, letter and/or numbers, and currently you can use ALPHA, BRAVO, CHARLIE, DELTA, and ECHO to start at individual levels. Remember to pad each code out to 8 characters with spaces at the end.
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

You say that you've got all 8 levels in...? When is the new build going to be uploaded?

Regards,

Shaun.
bobs

Post by bobs »

Shaun_B wrote:You say that you've got all 8 levels in...? When is the new build going to be uploaded?
About five minutes ago. :)

Fixed some stack-pointer creeping, a bug in the redefine keys code which meant you could assign the same key to more than one action, fixed the saving routine, added a title page, all eight of the levels I'd been hoping to get into the game are now in and working, added a key to restart the current level - but with the penalty of having your score reduced by a factor of 10, and much code optimisations for size instead of speed - but I'm hoping it still runs fast enough.

Hopefully the whole game is pretty much there, and all the bugs have been caught. I might tweak some of the levels slightly, but if nobody finds any issues with this build then it'll be properly finished & released shortly.