New ZX80 boards

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
BrunoFlorindo

Re: New ZX80 boards

Post by BrunoFlorindo »

Further clarification:

Andrew Owen obtained (and I quote him) "GPL distribution permission for ROMs from:
* John Grant and Steve Vickers (ZX80/ZX81)"

So, the ZX80 and ZX81 roms can be distributed under the GPL.
iturbez

Post by iturbez »

Dependig on the price, I would like a board, or a kit, too.
Lee Hart

Post by Lee Hart »

I noticed that the silkscreen of my ZX80 board was a little difficult to interpret without the pads and holes. So I printed a new copy with the silkscreen, pads and holes. Rich has it posted at
http://www.rwapsoftware.co.uk/downloads/zx80silk.pdf (silkscreen)
http://www.rwapsoftware.co.uk/downloads/zx80sch.pdf (schematic)

It also sounds like the ZX80 and ZX81 ROMs are no problem to copy. So, it's looking like this is a "go" project! If folks have time, please take a look and let me know if you see any problems before I order boards. My feeling right now is to order a small number, so they can be built and tested by "early adopters" in case I missed something (left GND off some pin, etc.)
Lee Hart

Post by Lee Hart »

I'm impressed and delighted by the response so far. About 10 people have expressed interest on the German forum, and another half a dozen here. So I'll definitely be ordering boards.

But, I'm a bit concerned about ordering so many of a first-run board. I think it is better to order a small number of boards (4-6), and get them in the hands of some "early adopters" who will actually build it and help with the testing and debugging. Then I can make any necessary corrections and improvements before ordering "production" boards for everyone.

The early adopters get their boards first, at my cost (Advanced Circuits quoted price is $33 US plus shipping), and get to participate in the design and development process. If you're interested, you can email me directly at leeahart at earthlink.net and we'll get rolling!
Mike3

Post by Mike3 »

So how goes it with the trial ZX80 boards.. were there any takers? ...

Mike
nama

Post by nama »

Possible good deal on PCB manufacturing:

http://www.pcbnet.com/newcustomeroffer.asp
Lee Hart

Post by Lee Hart »

Mike3 wrote:
> So how goes it with the trial ZX80 boards.. were there any takers? ...

Of the dozen-plus anonymous parties that said they were interested, exactly one person (Sir Morriss) contacted me to get a board. I also got zero feedback on whether the circuit or the layout looked OK. So, I decided to only order 4 boards (the minimum number I can get) at $33 US per board. They should arrive within the next week or two.

Even though ordering more brings the price down, it's too risky to order more until I know people are serious. But that does mean that two boards are still available, if anyone is interested.
zx81jens

Post by zx81jens »

hi lee!

at this moment i have (including me) 14 boads to order. i think, there will be some more in the future!

your board looks fine and well-thinked...

unfortunately, i am not understanding circuits so well, but if you like, you can send me a test-board... i will try my very best :-)

i will send you my adress via e@mail - how much do i have to pay (33$ plus shipping) ?

i´ll ask the german forum for testers also...

greetings and thank you
jens
eyerything will be okay in the end.
if it´s not okay, it´s not the end.

and: uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ɹǝʌǝ ɹǝʌǝu ןןıʍ ı
BrunoFlorindo

Post by BrunoFlorindo »

I think I already said I would like to buy one, but when I read that they needed to be tested first, I knew I wouldn't be of much help. I can't help with testing, but I'm more than happy to buy one once a group order is made (if it's made). Those who know me from this and all the other Sinclair forums know that once I commit to something, I do it :)
If you don't find other testers right away and need to cover the costs please send me a pm and I'll be glad to get one of the test boards (and hope that it's 100% working).
Keep up the good work!
Mike3

Post by Mike3 »

Well I figured everyone would jump on the Free "Trial" boards,, and If the trial boards are 33.00 ea... the production boards.. with It looks like 14-20 or more buyers should be even cheaper.. i would buy more than one...

Mike