Disk Operating System

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
gus

Disk Operating System

Post by gus »

Hi to all,

I looking to connect an IDE disk Drive to the zx81.

I already do some research in order to know if somebody already do it, ( alot of info comes from the post on CSS, XavSnap tell me that hi is developing and IO board based on the Intel 8255, and he has in progress a sister board where you can connect the IDE Disk.

Xavsnap sent me via an schematic of the IDE81 also based on the Intel 8255 with a IDE "driver" (I think that it's more a tester tool), anyway this tester has a couple or bugs that I already worked out.

I do a very simple IDE Disk Drive emulator and integrate it on the VB81XUR (by Xavsnap) Doing this let me try and learn about IDE controlling.

My planned next steps:

1) write a pure IDE driver layer
2) design an very little Disk Operatin System
3) write it !!!

Some restrictions :)

I don't like the FAT, or NTFS, or ANY Unix FS, why not ? I dont like to put any attributes or permissions on the file (I like a D.O.S. just for personal use no bussines, no security, just for fun: programming and games, I have a lot of the other at the office)

I dont need date times on files (maybe in a future) but the zx81 dosen't have a real time clock... so this option will require extra hardware.

I read all the info about Larken Floppy disk controller and use it on the Xav Emulator... but I need some D.O.S. that support big disks not just a floppys...
And I read a lot about the Atari D.O.S. (because it's my other retro computer, but this is too a Floppy oriented D.O.S.)

Any ideas ?

Are there any D.O.S. for the zx81 that suport Hard Disks ????

Gus
sirmorris

Re: Disk Operating System

Post by sirmorris »

Mike?
:ugeek:
XavSnap

Post by XavSnap »

Yes ... Mike???

His IdeDos in Rom work properly !
Xavier ...on the Facebook groupe : "Zx81 France"(fr)
gus

Post by gus »

Good, where can I find more info about the IdeDos ??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gus
BrunoFlorindo

Post by BrunoFlorindo »

If you go to the misc. section on this forum, you'll see two links to backups of ts1000.us. You can then look for a thread where Mike explained everything about it.
gus

Post by gus »

Thanks again, Bruno
BTW Today in the train comming from office to home I do read the Articles about Interfacing the ZX81 that you scanned, I'm learning a lot about the zx81 hardware :) :)
Gus
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Gus.

Yes, I've already written a DOS for the zx81 complete with CLI. It supports drives upto 132Gb but doesn't fulfill all your criteria - it's FAT32 compatible. I'll dig the documentation out today and put it up.

Mike
gus

Post by gus »

Mike wrote:Hi Gus.

Yes, I've already written a DOS for the zx81 complete with CLI. It supports drives upto 132Gb but doesn't fulfill all your criteria - it's FAT32 compatible. I'll dig the documentation out today and put it up.

Mike
hi Mike, I put just what I want to do, but of course I like to know/use what you already do :) wich hdd interface do you used ? do you write some sort of emulated HDD ? I will dig on the old forums (like tell me Bruno) tring to find more info, but of course I wainting for your help
Thanks, Gus
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Gus.

It's just an OS, and as such should work with any interface. All you need to do is provide the Sector Read/Sector Write calls and it'll work. I was testing it with an emulated IDE interface and I know siggi uses it with a real MMC/SD interface.

I'll dig out all the info when I get home from work.

Mike
gus

Post by gus »

Hi to all,
Still looking for the idedos, I can't find the threads on the old forums... someone with a copy at hand ???

Thanks,
Gus