ZX-MMC2 ("the ZXPand") Update log

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
Paul

Re: ZX-MMC2 Update log

Post by Paul »

Are you kidding?
SMD on a ZX81? Not directly plugged in to a ZX81!
Is there no chance of having standard chips? It would be tolerable to have the pic-module in SMD,
its always that way if you add "intelligent" modules to the ZX like VDrive or VDip,
but the ram, gal and so on should be possible to have as standard DIL, wont it?
Where is the fun in having a ready built device? ;)
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Paul wrote:Are you kidding?
SMD on a ZX81? Not directly plugged in to a ZX81!
Is there no chance of having standard chips? It would be tolerable to have the pic-module in SMD,
its always that way if you add "intelligent" modules to the ZX like VDrive or VDip,
but the ram, gal and so on should be possible to have as standard DIL, wont it?
Where is the fun in having a ready built device? ;)
Remember Paul this a forum for ALL ABILITIES not just Those on planet Genius. ;)
I think Sir Morris derserves high praise for catering to us mere mortals who don't posses Your skills and abilities, this is after all a public forum not a private electronics workshop.

Regards Moggy
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hi all,
of course I was just trying to make a joke.
I have seen the picture of the PCB in this thread which shows that most chips are standard DIL.
The mmc holder is, of course, a smd.

I never wanted anything bad to anyone. :oops:
I will most probably have used the wrong words, as I am not english. Words don't come easy to me...

Never the less I would very much appreciate to be able to get a PCB instead of the ready built device as the building is so much fun.
I also share the problem of seeing worse and holding the soldering iron :cry: but it is so good when I get something new running.
I always think it is worth a try. Sometimes, of course, I end up buying the ready built device afterwards :roll:
moggy wrote:
mere mortals who don't posses Your skills and abilities
If my skills and abilities were as good as you assume, I would be very happy.

And I do praise SirMorris :!: , for all the time and effort he spent on this for us as well as for all his very fun to read posts, I just love the way he writes.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Paul
forgive Me My Brother, I have just re-read My post and I think I could have put it a little better :oops:
Your English is fine (better than My German) I just get so envious of those people like the ZX-Geman group, Yourself and Our own Sir Morris and Andy Rea. My frustration sometimes shows.
It would be wonderfull for me to be part of that world but I can only stand outside the shop window and look in!! :(
The skills You all show I find fascinating, I never rose above simple audio electronics. :cry:

Sorry for any offence Paul.
Your ashamed friend :oops: :oops:
Moggy
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

I'm glad to see my little project is generating so much excitement and passion :lol:

Seriously folks ... thanks for all the positive, for want of a better word, energy that you have all given me during this long painful birthing process ;)

Here's the latest routing:
1.00.png (27.65 KiB) Viewed 22875 times
As you can see there are only a few surface-mount components - resistors, capacitors, the regulators and SD socket. I find axial leaded components a pain in the backside to place, solder and cut. SMD components are easier to use once you get the habit. And glasses, as I got recently... :geek:

SMD regulators dissipate all their heat through the ground plane and as such run waaaay cooler than the old sort. Which is nice 'cos there's 2 on the board :D

Paul - seeing as you feel so strongly about it I'll arrange a kit for you :P If you don't mind I'll do the SMD because like I said - it's hard to separate them out.
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

Looking cooler than a cool thing laid back in the bottom of the fridge :D

I most particularly like 'Rex lies in wait.'

Good job Sir.

Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
iturbez

Post by iturbez »

I can't wait to have one in my hands ... Or rather, connected to my Zeddy...

Good job, Morris.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Hi Charlie I noticed the copyright symbol on Your wee boardy thingy.
I have to tell You that the two red pads at the top left corner were in fact copyrighted by, Myself in 1963, as part of a failed reverb/echo unit. :D
I would sue the arse off You but the pension won't run to it so half a dozen free modules should cover it :evil:

Yours litigiously

Moggy

(Nurse is it time for My medication yet?)
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

Moggy wrote:Hi Charlie I noticed the copyright symbol on Your wee boardy thingy.
I have to tell You that the two red pads at the top left corner were in fact copyrighted by, Myself in 1963, as part of a failed reverb/echo unit. :D
I would sue the arse off You but the pension won't run to it so half a dozen free modules should cover it :evil:

Yours litigiously

Moggy

Quick Charlier - best change their colour to green to overcome the copyright issue...
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

RWAP wrote:
Moggy wrote:Hi Charlie I noticed the copyright symbol on Your wee boardy thingy.

Yours litigiously

Moggy

Quick Charlier - best change their colour to green to overcome the copyright issue...
I will have You know Ricardo that as a founder member of........
..The "Rare-Warthog-And-Pig" Breeders society or R.W.A.P Your own logo looks fairly suable :D

(Ah yes nurse the medicine is taking effect now)