ZX-MMC2 ("the ZXPand") Update log

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
Mike3

Re: ZX-MMC2 Update log

Post by Mike3 »

GREAT!!! can't wait to get this.... Thank you ! Thank you !! Thank you .. Sirmorris!!!! Are these going to be avaliable both ways? Kit form and assembled? maybe with the SMD parts installed for us blind folk...And maybe just blank boards with programmed chips? ... either way your time and knolage is GREATLY appreciated Sirmorris....

Regards... Mike
Paul

Post by Paul »

sirmorris wrote: Paul - seeing as you feel so strongly about it I'll arrange a kit for you :P If you don't mind I'll do the SMD because like I said - it's hard to separate them out.
It will be the greatest honour to me to get an SMD-prepared kit from you Sire! 8-)
As for the ready built ones, are they going to have a case?
And is there already a place to preorder ZXPand (Amazon :lol: or RWAP e.g.)?

These are very exciting days waiting for your ZXPand as well as waiting for my ZX2000 kit (from Kai) which should arrive on monday (as it did not come today :cry: )
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

Moggy wrote: I will have You know Ricardo that as a founder member of........
..The "Rare-Warthog-And-Pig" Breeders society or R.W.A.P Your own logo looks fairly suable :D

(Ah yes nurse the medicine is taking effect now)
Hmm - I doubt it - when was the "Rare-Warthog-And-Pig" Breeders society established?

I can prove rights to the RWAP name going back a few years - and before the Robbie Williams Appreciation Pages were set up by the way (even before he was known!)
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

As regards cases - the board is sized to fit snugly inside a Memopak 16K case. I won't be pursuing any other option. That would make the cost way too high.

I will look at black solder masking though, so it will match the case.

C
Paul

Post by Paul »

sirmorris wrote:As regards cases - the board is sized to fit snugly inside a Memopak 16K case.
Glad to hear this.
Fortunately I got a spare memotech case :mrgreen:

That means you need to have the "long" connector and the little pcb at the other side where further attachments are mounted on.
Is there a source for the connectors and the expansionbus pcb?
I would need some of those expansion pcb's, say 10 or so?

Is there already a thread about where to find commonly used spare parts?

@Rich, it seems the Memotech cases are a popular but rare case for new projects. Do you see a market in these?
They don't have to be in aluminium, black plastic would do if they would match the pcb measures.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

RWAP wrote: You don't have to Rich it's all made up, somehow I thought You might have got that :lol:
Regards Moggy
And there was me getting worried that I might be mixed up with warthogs.....

Weren't they a software company back in the day?
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

sirmorris wrote:As regards cases - the board is sized to fit snugly inside a Memopak 16K case. I won't be pursuing any other option. That would make the cost way too high.

I will look at black solder masking though, so it will match the case.

C

I once had a spare case until it was nicked from Me by a certain Knight of the realm :lol:
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

Whooey i happen to have a memopak ram pack knocking about, don't use it becuase it doesn't work :D

Regards Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
UKRetroGamer

Post by UKRetroGamer »

How many are you planning on making for a "first-run"?

If there are enough, I'd like to be put on the waiting list.
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

Paul wrote: @Rich, it seems the Memotech cases are a popular but rare case for new projects. Do you see a market in these?
They don't have to be in aluminium, black plastic would do if they would match the pcb measures.
Yes, the Memotech cases can be popular for new projects - however, I doubt the tooling costs of an injection moulding machine or getting them redesigned for 3D prototyping would be worth the cost - how many people would pay £30-£40 for a case on its own?