'Old' ROM, etc

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
sirmorris

'Old' ROM, etc

Post by sirmorris »

Hi all,

ZXMMC includes an overlay ROM. I have placed my bootstrap code in the bytes normally occupied by the character generator. As the internal ROM is accessed during display generation this isn't an issue. When a program accesses the character map data however, it will address the overlay and hence see the program code as garbage.

With this in mind I am building in the option to be able to switch out the overlay after loading so that programs which use the internal character table will work.

Because the overlay ROM is only patched in a couple of bytes then the switch should happen transparently. If, however, the internal ROM is itself hacked or is the 'old' ROM then there's going to be trouble as I can't know ahead of time what the program counter is going to be when the banks switch.

How widespread is the 'old' ROM? Does anyone have one? Or even information about it?? Google has failed me.

Charlie
Moggy

Re: 'Old' ROM, etc

Post by Moggy »

Hi Charlie

I have two old rom machines (one with the hardware mod) I also have Ian Logans book Understanding Your Zx81 rom, which explains the differences between the two roms, the two relevent pages are here.

Moggy
Attachments
rom info.rar
old/new rom info
(115.18 KiB) Downloaded 376 times
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

You are a *STAR* Thanks :)
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Curiouser:

There are 3 ROMs in the MESS set.

the original, the improved, and a third. The third only has 7 bytes changed, a simple re-ordering of instructions:

V2 'PAUSE' code:

Code: Select all

0F3D FD 36 35 FF         LD (IY+35H),0FFH
0F41 CD 07 02            CALL $0207
V3 'PAUSE' code:

Code: Select all

0F3D CD 07 02            CALL $0207
0F40 FD 36 35 FF         LD (IY+35H),0FFH
Any ideas about this, anyone? Was this ROM quietly slipped into production when the bug fix was discovered to be itself bugged??

Or is it a user hack???

Thanks

C
XavSnap

Post by XavSnap »

Hi,
In all documentations , the 'old' Rom is the Zx80 Rom.
Or is it a user hack???
A user hack !
Zx81a.Rom and Zx81b.Rom Roms are users hack.
Zx81.Rom is the original Zx81 rom... Or the original TK85's Rom !

>>viewtopic.php?f=6&t=190
Xavier ...on the Facebook groupe : "Zx81 France"(fr)
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

XavSnap wrote:Hi,
In all documentations , the 'old' Rom is the Zx80 Rom.
Or is it a user hack???
A user hack !
Zx81a.Rom and Zx81b.Rom Roms are users hack.
Zx81.Rom is the original Zx81 rom... Or the original TK85's Rom !

>>viewtopic.php?f=6&t=190
In Ian Logans books on the subject He refers to "old" ZX81 roms and "new" ZX81 roms Meaning 8K not the 4k zx80 roms and I think Sir Morris is talking about real hardware roms for his new project rather than emulator hacks , I will check my roms for any difference in the pause command I have three types , the old 8k with sqr bug the second with bug and factory hardware mod and the "new" 8k.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Hi Charlie
Did a quick decimal listing and there is a difference in the two roms, bit pushed for time at the moment so will post when I can . In the meantime you might find this useful (if You haven't already got it)

Regards Moggy
Attachments
pause.rar
pause
(46.49 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Hi all,

just to clarify -

The MESS emulator includes:

zx81.rom - with srq bug and other problems - the 'old' rom.
zx81a.rom - with bugs fixed - the 'new' rom.
zx81b.rom - as above with the code transposition detailed above - 'new rom II'.

MESS doesn't include user hacks, generally. Otherwise we'd be seeing the 'shoulders of giants' ROM amongst others...

I'll single-step a & b next week and see what the effect is. I suspect the 'new-new rom' was quietly slipped out, after discovering the original fix also had its problems, to prevent any further damage to the reputation of Sinclair.. :roll:

C
Bill H

Post by Bill H »

Was there a difference between the zx81 and the ts1000 roms? I Think there should have been at least one for the number of cycles per second (50 vs 60) and the 2k versus the 1k installed (as I type I think of more). Was there any bug fixes with these changes?. I recall Wilf documented a number of changes between the ts1000 and the ts1500 but don't recall anyone looking for differences between the zx81 and the ts1000.

Bill H
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Um, wind forward to 2021 and read this topic :shock:

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.