80 file format, 81 file format

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
Thunor

80 file format, 81 file format

Post by Thunor »

Hi

Can somebody explain the apparently minor differences between 80 and O files and 81 and P files.

I can't find this information anywhere and it definitely needs writing up somewhere.

Regards,
Thunor
Oliver

Re: 80 file format, 81 file format

Post by Oliver »

AFAIK, both file formats consist of the raw byte stream as written on tape. So the differences should be the same as for the tape format:

- ZX81 files start with the file name, ZX80 files do not have a name included and just start with the data
- The memory offset for ZX81 files is 4009 hex, whereas the offset for ZX80 files is 400A hex
- The system variables that are always written with the files are different on both computer, therefore also the stored files

Here is a small software tool that I use to convert .O and .P files into .wav sound files so I can load them using the soundcard of my PC. It autodetects the file type.
zx_p2wav_v0_04.zip
File Convertor - convert .o and .p files to .wav files
(18.58 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
Greetings

Oliver
Thommy

Post by Thommy »

I've found this not to be entirely accurate; of the files I have the .p/.81 files appear to be the data that would appear on a tape, with the filename missing. So, on a real ZX81 tape you'd see:
  • long pause
  • filename, with the high bit set on the final character
  • file data
  • short pause
On a .p/.81 file you see:
  • file data
Based on quick testing, just prefixing a 0x80 to the file data and outputting wrapped in pauses seems to be acceptable for the ZX81.

As stated above, ZX80 tape images appear to be a complete duplication of the data on a ZX80 tape. The ZX80 doesn't store filenames at all.
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

The ZX81 saves system variables from 0x4009 onward. The ZX80 saves all system variables from 0x4000 onward.

C