ZX81 Toddy Forth-79

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
Moggy

Re: ZX81 Toddy Forth-79

Post by Moggy »

Hi Kelly.

The reason for the RND and BRK word is because I originally did this for an older version of Toddy which didn't have a BREAK function and the RND I did just to learn how to manipulate words, a learning curve if you see what I mean? I know of TF79's RND function and very good it is too. :D

The SHIFT+SPACE I do know about but have discovered that if you hold SHIFT + SPACE too long the system crashes so it has to be a quick press.

: INFINITELOOP 0 BEGIN DUP . 1+ AGAIN ;
INFINITELOOP

Thanks for this Kelly it will be very useful for me and I can think of one immediate use I have for it. :D
kmurta

Post by kmurta »

Moggy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:49 pm The reason for the RND and BRK word is because I originally did this for an older version of Toddy which didn't have a BREAK function and the RND I did just to learn how to manipulate words, a learning curve if you see what I mean? I know of TF79's RND function and very good it is too. :D
That´s ok ;)
The SHIFT+SPACE I do know about but have discovered that if you hold SHIFT + SPACE too long the system crashes so it has to be a quick press.
I didn't know about this problem, thanks for letting me know.

It is now fixed, but I did not change the version number as the change was minimal. The 4 people who had downloaded the previous one, please download it again.
1 x ZX81, 2 x TK85 , 1 TK82C, 1 TK95, 1 x Alphacom 32 printer, 1 x ZXpand
ZeXtender board, Joy81 - Programmable Joystick Controller, Turbo Sound 81
http://zx81.eu5.org
https://toddysoftware.itch.io/
kmurta

ZX81 Toddy Forth-79 - Enhanced ARX Driver

Post by kmurta »

I bring here Paul Farrow's Enhanced ARX Driver, ported to the TF79.

The main advantage of the ARX driver over the WRX, especially for those using the UDG4ZXpand board, is being able to switch from the text terminal to the graphics terminal without having to worry about jumpers or switches.

However, the ARX is slightly slower (less than 1%) than the WRX, but this does not compromise its use, as you can see in the demonstration video.

click to open video
click to open video

The high-resolution graphics screen is located at address 32768 (8000h) and occupies 6144 bytes. To use with the EO emulator it is necessary to select CHR$128 for "Chr$ Generator:" and select "none" for "High Resolution:" in the Interfaces tab of the Hardware options. Surprisingly, when selecting Sinclair for "Chr$ Generator:" only a black screen is shown. It also runs on the sz81, but I haven't tested it with other emulators.

For the real world, you need a UDG4ZXpand board with the jumper in the CHR$64 position. I'm not sure if the Chroma-81 interface allows UDG characters above 32768, so this needs confirmation.

The instructions in chapter 9 of the TF79 manual apply here, with the exception of the word COLOR in item 9.4, which needs a small change as shown below:

Code: Select all

: COLOR ( n1 n2 -- )
 16 * + 32751 P@ 32 AND NOT IF 
 [ coords 32772 + DUP 65 + ]
 LITERAL LITERAL DO DUP I C!
 LOOP THEN DROP ;

Files included in the package:
  • ARX.F79: The compiled ARX Driver
  • EDARX.F79: The compiled ARX Driver with the Editor
  • HGRARX.BLK and HTERM.BLK: The Screens files with the source code
TF79-ARX.zip
(6.66 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

The ARX.F79 and EDARX.F79 files are ready to use, just load them directly from Forth with FLOAD ARX.F79 ( or FLOAD EDARX.F79 ). They can also be loaded directly from BASIC with the LOAD command ( LOAD "ARX.F79") from the same folder where TF79.BIN is located.
Last edited by kmurta on Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
poulette73

Post by poulette73 »

Hi,

Thanks @kmurta for sharing Forth-79. ;)
Glad to see it works well on my Zeddy !

ZX81/ZXpand+
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Excellent work as always Kelly! :ugeek:
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Spoke too soon in anticipation.

When compiling I get this error. (real ZX81 not emulator)

I had to record your video as it runs too fast for me to take in at once and cannot be stopped so I followed it correctly I think ( written instruction better I think for slow people like myself) but cannot get past this point.
Attachments
SANY0541.JPG
kmurta

Post by kmurta »

Moggy wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:00 pm When compiling I get this error. (real ZX81 not emulator)
I apologize Fred, it was my fault, the HTERM.BLK file was incomplete, missing a page, hence the compilation error. I have already fixed the issue and updated the zip package above. In any case, the ARX.F79 and EDARX.F79 files were compiled correctly and ready to use, just load and use them. Watch the video demonstrating how to:

arx.gif

Once again, I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

No Worries Kelly, thanks for prompt action much appreciated. :D
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

All running ok now,Kelly and the COMPART demo is very nice. :D