What ZX81 Basic compilers there are out there?

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
sl07h1

What ZX81 Basic compilers there are out there?

Post by sl07h1 »

Hi, I was playing with MCODER II, it works well I guess, although when I want to use the routine for deleting the basic lines (LET L= USR 17281), it sometimes work and sometimes crashes, I don't know why. (I'm using a ZXPand, maybe it gets things weird?)

There are other zx81 basic compilers out there to try?

Best.
christoph

Re: What ZX81 Basic compilers there are out there?

Post by christoph »

Hello,
for your first question: There is MCODER II and MCODER (former ZXGT) and I found ZX-Compiler by Silversoft but never got it to work even after trying to understand the BASIC Listing... Then there is Autocoder and BASIC-I-Compiler, which i try to find but never found it (written in BASIC) and then there are Z99 Compiler and some other products. Most of them seem to vanished into oblivion after all this time.

now to your Problem with deleting the BASIC lines. If you use a ZXpand+ and more than 16k of RAM then MCODER II has maybe some problems deleting the BASIC-Code ? Several other problems occur with Mcoder too: Always initialize a DIM array at the very beginning or it will mess up (i don't know why) your complete variables...

Greetings, Chris
sl07h1

Post by sl07h1 »

christoph wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:35 am Hello,
for your first question: There is MCODER II and MCODER (former ZXGT) and I found ZX-Compiler by Silversoft but never got it to work even after trying to understand the BASIC Listing... Then there is Autocoder and BASIC-I-Compiler, which i try to find but never found it (written in BASIC) and then there are Z99 Compiler and some other products. Most of them seem to vanished into oblivion after all this time.

now to your Problem with deleting the BASIC lines. If you use a ZXpand+ and more than 16k of RAM then MCODER II has maybe some problems deleting the BASIC-Code ? Several other problems occur with Mcoder too: Always initialize a DIM array at the very beginning or it will mess up (i don't know why) your complete variables...

Greetings, Chris
Great answer, cool, so I should use it in an emulator and then save the .p file, and that's it I guesss...
alphabrian

Post by alphabrian »

I've been thinking of porting something like this to the ZX Spectrum but if there was interest in this I would certainly be up for developing it for the ZX-81 or anything else for that matter.

What I have is a compiler that runs on a PC and produces bytecode which gives a lot more bang for your buck both space and . I have used it professionally for developing products from Fruit Machines to PC Apps. It could certainly be developed as a replacement ROM as well.

Is this the type of thing that would appeal to people and if so, for what platform? I am actively working on this in my spare time and happy just to do it for me but if there's interest then I'm happy to change my coarse.

Regards, Brian