ULA 'TAPE IN' Expected Voltages?

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
Flatulentia

Re: ULA 'TAPE IN' Expected Voltages?

Post by Flatulentia »

Problem solved! :D

I had a weird earth-loop situation going on when connecting my earthed oscilloscope and the HDMI cable to my ZX81 via an earthed (via my PC) HDMI switcher. I should probably check for earth leakage current on my early 1970's Philips PM3200 oscilloscope as that's likely ultimately to blame.

Thanks again for all the pointers given in this thread. Maybe I can make use of them now. :)
Last edited by Flatulentia on Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZX81 with ZiLOG Z84 CMOS Z80, 32KB battery-backed Toshiba 55257 SRAM with charge status LED, Wilf's "Why Wait?" mod and switch-mode 5V regulator. 50/60Hz mode switch, composite video output with Zigg's back porch mod and 1080p60 HDMI output.
1024MAK

Re: ULA 'TAPE IN' Expected Voltages?

Post by 1024MAK »

Ah, earth/ground loops… These cause no end of problems :twisted:

Unfortunately class II (double insulated electrical appliance or non-earthed / non-grounded) items that use switch mode power supplies (SMPSU) have their own set of problems.

The ZX81/TS1000 ULA was developed based on the 74LSxxx technology design called the ZX80. Hence its possible that the tape in circuit in the ULA is similar to the ZX80 design, which uses a network of resistors and a capacitor feeding a standard 74LS365 hex buffer chip.

Of course, it’s possible that because the ULA offers more flexibility in its input circuit design, that Sinclair used this to improve the design over the ZX80.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.