LOWRES -demo

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
Paul

Re: LOWRES -demo

Post by Paul »

Wow!
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
stevenmcdonald

Post by stevenmcdonald »

Amazing work Dr Beep!

I used your editor and looked at its source!

It blows. my mind that it's highly likely that nobody in the world thought to do this in the 43 years since this computer has been released! That's why it still fascinates me to this day!

I took your idea and just to prove a point, knocked up a small demo using just BASIC. Had I been shown this demo code in BASIC back in 1984/1985, I think I would have called it Voodoo magic and then fainted with disbelief at what I was seeing on my black and white TV screen! :D

List.jpg
output.jpg
UDGDEMO.P
(1.28 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Fruitcake

Post by Fruitcake »

It's a very interesting new technique. As an optimisation, you can replace the two instructions LD H,D and LD L,E with single instruction EX DE,HL to achieve the same effect but using 1 less byte per row.
stevenmcdonald

Post by stevenmcdonald »

Wow Paul that is genius! Saving yet more bytes!! I have updated my BASIC program to verify that it works!
Basic List.jpg
UDGNEW.P
(1.25 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Screen Output.jpg
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

Fruitcake wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:49 am It's a very interesting new technique. As an optimisation, you can replace the two instructions LD H,D and LD L,E with single instruction EX DE,HL to achieve the same effect but using 1 less byte per row.
That was my first try too, but now try printing 2 lines of telephone, then you get an errordisplay.

Both HL and DE need to have same value.
Fruitcake

Post by Fruitcake »

You are indeed correct. But if you only wanted to display one row of characters then you'd save a byte at least. Or if you wanted to display multiple rows and your program could tolerate having a non-uniform row length then you could start each row with LD H,D / LD L,E:

Listing.gif
Listing.gif (4.12 KiB) Viewed 184 times
Output.gif
Output.gif (1.63 KiB) Viewed 184 times
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

I have just uploaded another video of the demo on a CRT TV. Guess I need better video equipment! Hey ho.

https://youtube.com/shorts/xd79n9p23_E? ... SvrMS31jql
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
Fruitcake

Post by Fruitcake »

stevenmcdonald wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:22 am It blows. my mind that it's highly likely that nobody in the world thought to do this in the 43 years since this computer has been released!
And technically this technique would work on the ZX80 also, and so that's 44 years that no one else has thought of this!
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

Fruitcake wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 2:51 pm You are indeed correct. But if you only wanted to display one row of characters then you'd save a byte at least. Or if you wanted to display multiple rows and your program could tolerate having a non-uniform row length then you could start each row with
LD H,D / LD L,E:
My next game needs fixed length. So I will use 2 bytes.
On the otherhand.... full screen and it is just 1 byte, byte 33 was HALT and becomes LD H,D then add byte 34 LD L,E which will also cause the intrupt.
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

I had an idea how to make it work for all 8 lines.

My first try last week did not work flawlessly but my current approach is working.

This is character 8 with the even lines inverted so you get 4 lines on a character.

I need to write a manual how you can do both methods.
LR-8.png