ZXpand / Atari ST mouse driver

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
sirmorris

Re: ZXpand / Atari ST mouse driver

Post by sirmorris »

All the old and new drivers are archived in the zxpand firmware thread.
I don't know if mouse.p ever saw the light of day but i'll look it out for you.
C
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Most likely only useful as a reference - it was compiled with an old version of the z88dk compiler.
Attachments
mouse!.zip
(9.27 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
tdg8934

Post by tdg8934 »

Thanks Sir Morris! I looked over the code and can't wait till I get the mouse in the main. Should be fun!

Now that I have a Joy81 card from Kelly and the ZXpand/ZXpand-AY should be interesting at some point to create software to access both the Joystick and mouse.

Thanks again,

Tim
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

I'm sure I've stated it elsewhere but I need to re-iterate that mouse support was purely for fun - the way ZXpand works in respect of timing means that the interrupts generated by the mouse cause problems. Data is mis-read if an interrupt occurs whilst trying to read from the interface. There's a nasty kludge around the data packets, so I wouldn't expect too much from the ability! For an evening's entertainment though ... :D
tdg8934

Post by tdg8934 »

Absolutely - Everything here is for fun!

Thanks again.

Tim
tdg8934

Post by tdg8934 »

Sir Morris,

I got my converted Amiga mouse to Atari ST and tried out the MOUSE.P file. I saw the cursor and tried moving it around but it only jittered around a small area and pushing the button just displayed some jittered marks. Do you think it is my mouse as I would have thought I could draw easily like I saw in your video. The way it is now is not usable.

I really appreciate the efforts here and not complaining but just trying to see if I'm doing something wrong or have a defective mouse.

Thanks,

Tim
Attachments
2013-12-01_07-02-24-AM.jpg
2013-12-01_07-02-24-AM.jpg (10.88 KiB) Viewed 3361 times
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

It most probably shows that the left button is being mis-read as pressed. Does the cursor move randomly even when the mouse is not moved or does it only move, albeit incorrectly, when you move the mouse?
tdg8934

Post by tdg8934 »

Yea kind of. If I try to move the mouse the cursor flickers and it moves somewhat randomly not really in the direction I would think.

Tim
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

So it's an Amiga mouse which has been converterd to Atari? I'm guessing that this is all that needs to be done so there isn't really much room for error :?

What happens if you move slowly along one axis, or the other?
tdg8934

Post by tdg8934 »

When I try to move it down the screen I'll have to check it again to be sure but I think it moves in reverse that I why I was wondering if perhaps the "conversion" was wrong. I really liked the link Sir Morris sent about this. I'll try and take apart the mouse tonight if I can but here is the eBay advertisement: http://www.ebay.com/itm/140953378133?ss ... 1309wt_910

Notice it states: Mouse Atari ST/TT converted from brand new Amiga Mouse. Works with all Atari ST/TT/Falcon/Stacy and Mega Computers. NEW MINT!! Faster than a stock Atari Mouse.
NOTE: The Mouse works on an Atari ST ir 8-BIT System.
To use this mouse on an AMIGA, 2 internal soldered jumpers must be moved back to the Amiga compatible position.
90 day warranty

I didn't bring a soldering iron with me or many tools this week - so If I have to unsolder the jumpers and move it back, it'll have to wait till I'm home in Kalamazoo, MI this weekend.

Tim