ZX81 ULA-in-a-CPLD

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
Andy Rea

Re: ZX81 ULA-in-a-CPLD

Post by Andy Rea »

McKlaud wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:33 pm
My ULA was also tortured and I did a few minor mods earlier today. Now Zeddy boots up every time to the 'K' prompt. Screen and border inversion works as it should. Anyway, still works in progress.

Good stuff indeed, keep at it and you'll soon be a zeddy master :mrgreen:
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
McKlaud

Post by McKlaud »

Yeah! Master of Disaster :mrgreen:
Claudius
----------
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

Anyone implementing option to switch between normal black on white and inverse white on black?
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
McKlaud

Post by McKlaud »

Yes. See below
Attachments
Inverted
Inverted
Inverted screen area only
Inverted screen area only
Inverted border
Inverted border
Normal
Normal
Claudius
----------
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Nice 8-)

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
McKlaud

Post by McKlaud »

I am back to square one. No proper keyboard reads, my Zeddy boots to the "K" prompt in the FAST mode only, a lot of noise on the ground plane of the Zeddy PCB and the noise is visible in the video signal too. :cry:
Claudius
----------
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

McKlaud wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:24 am I am back to square one. No proper keyboard reads, my Zeddy boots to the "K" prompt in the FAST mode only, a lot of noise on the ground plane of the Zeddy PCB and the noise is visible in the video signal too. :cry:

Oopsy, I'm sure you will fix it. And yes the noise in the video is rather annoying.

Andy
McKlaud

Post by McKlaud »

It seems that I am back on the track. The ULA is alive, works in FAST mode only, loads some BASIC software, reads keyboard, execute BASIC command. Furthermore I ran a BASIC benchmark and its execution time was the same like my other Zeddy in the FAST mode.

Regarding "SLOW" mode, see the screen shoot shown below.

I've also noticed that sometime I can see a flash of a colourful (mainly pink-ish) pattern on the screen, mainly during boot up sequence. It happens randomly and it is just a flash and after that everything is back to normal. It is impossible to capture it in the photo or by oscilloscope, because it can be seen for less than second.
Attachments
SLOW mode
SLOW mode
16K memory test in action (FAST mode)
16K memory test in action (FAST mode)
Prototype no. 3 in place
Prototype no. 3 in place
Claudius
----------
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

Well i have had a positive day, drawing timing diagrams and then working out timings based on actual chip specifications, i have also reduced the switching noise during a forced nop somewhat..

the old way the force nop started at the middle ( falling edge ) of T2 however my new way, the RAMcs get de-asserted at this time but the forced nop does not start until another 1/4 cycle ( or half a 6.5mhz cycle ) The Zilog Z80a needs a 35na setup time before the rising edge of T3 when the data bus is sampled, we have about 79-35 = 44ns for the CPLD to pull the lines low and stabilize. i have tested this new approach with zilog 1984 vintage CPU ( probably nmos i guess, a nire modern 2005 vintage zilog Cmos variety, an SGS thimson Z80a of unknown but guessing 80's and finally an NEC D780C of 1982 vintage, all appear to work fine with this forced nop scheme.

Regards Andy
siggi

Post by siggi »

Andy Rea wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:14 am the old way the force nop started at the middle ( falling edge ) of T2 however my new way, the RAMcs get de-asserted at this time but the forced nop does not start until another 1/4 cycle ( or half a 6.5mhz cycle ) The Zilog Z80a needs a 35na setup time before the rising edge of T3 when the data bus is sampled, we have about 79-35 = 44ns for the CPLD to pull the lines low and stabilize.
Hi Andy
did you also test that with additional capacitive load on the databus?
My Zeddies can drive up to 4 external cards (I/O mapped) at a small backplane connected to the edge connector. That works fine, only the /clock-signal is arriving bad at some external boards.

Siggi

PS: Maybe some complex external cards, which "listen" on the bus to the Z80 actions (like Chroma81 or ZxBlast) could also get confused by a new timing ...

PS/2: and some "switching noise" is not bad. So I can hear in the radio, that my web server is still running :mrgreen:
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
http://zx81.ddns.net/ZxTeaM