ZX8-CCB vs ZXVid

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Lardo Boffin

Re: ZX8-CCB vs ZXVid

Post by Lardo Boffin »

When I do a screen full of E it goes from rock solid to wavy:-
IMG_5211.JPG
(7.07 MiB) Downloaded 307 times
When I change it to inverted E the screen gets destroyed. As it draws down the screen it gets dark (i.e. the brightness is reduced) about halfway down. It goes slightly further then completely distorts as shown below:-
IMG_5212.JPG
(6.79 MiB) Downloaded 307 times
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Thanks - I am pretty sure now the ULA is buggy. And the more black pixels on the screen the more wild the picture gets.
You could try to print just one or two E chars in each line and I think the picture would be still fine.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

That's the result of the TV not being able to properly synchronise the display drawn by the electron beams. With analogue video, there is a synchronisation signal to signal the start/end of a line (line sync or horizontal sync), and different, longer one to signal the start/end of a field (field sync or vertical sync). Wikipedia explains a bit about it here.

As the TV is okay, I suspect that the ULA is not able to output the 0V level needed to properly generate the correct synchronisation signals. Do you have, or know someone with an oscilloscope?

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer being good this year.
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

1024MAK wrote: As the TV is okay, I suspect that the ULA is not able to output the 0V level needed to properly generate the correct synchronisation signals.
Yes - I am pretty sure about it as the picture is moved to the left which tends to a missing sync pulse and interpreting the back porch as hsync. I wonder how the vertical sync is working. :shock:
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

1024MAK wrote:That's the result of the TV not being able to properly synchronise the display drawn by the electron beams. With analogue video, there is a synchronisation signal to signal the start/end of a line (line sync or horizontal sync), and different, longer one to signal the start/end of a field (field sync or vertical sync). Wikipedia explains a bit about it here.

As the TV is okay, I suspect that the ULA is not able to output the 0V level needed to properly generate the correct synchronisation signals. Do you have, or know someone with an oscilloscope?

Mark
Unfortunately not. I suspect that it will end up being sent off to Mutant Caterpillar Games to be fixed - this sort of thing is way outside my comfort zone!
ZX80
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Is the ULA soldered or in a DIL socket?

If it is in a socket, it's not too hard to change it.

Although, if you want the lowest cost option, that would be to buy another ZX81. Of course, unless you buy a known working one, you are likely to end up with another faulty ZX81, but most only have membrane failure, or have one of the earlier ULAs and the seller could not get a picture on the (modern) TV they tried it on (assuming they actually tried).

From what I can see, ULA failure, although not rare, is low compared membrane failure. When I bought a bunch of ZX81s some years ago on eBay, most had a faulty membrane, only one had a defective ULA. One had a faulty Z80 CPU and another one had the ROM inserted in the wrong holes in the DIL socket.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

1024MAK wrote:Is the ULA soldered or in a DIL socket?

If it is in a socket, it's not too hard to change it.

Although, if you want the lowest cost option, that would be to buy another ZX81. Of course, unless you buy a known working one, you are likely to end up with another faulty ZX81, but most only have membrane failure, or have one of the earlier ULAs and the seller could not get a picture on the (modern) TV they tried it on (assuming they actually tried).

From what I can see, ULA failure, although not rare, is low compared membrane failure. When I bought a bunch of ZX81s some years ago on eBay, most had a faulty membrane, only one had a defective ULA. One had a faulty Z80 CPU and another one had the ROM inserted in the wrong holes in the DIL socket.

Mark
The ULA is in a socket so easy to replace if I can find one also in a socket!

The price of zeddys seems to have gone up of late as well.
Untested ones ('were working when put in the loft 30 years ago') are going for around £20 and working ones for around £40.

I'm sure they were going for around half this not that long ago!

Regardless I will keep my eyes peeled.
ZX80
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

The price does vary. Around five years ago, "untested" or "not working" / "spares/repairs" ZX81s without PSUs were around £6 to £12.

In the last few years the price on eBay has gone up. But be patient, or try car boot sales.

The two issue 1 boards that feature in the new thread I started today, both have the ULA and the Z80 socketed (that's how they were before I touched them). New thread here.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
britain4

Post by britain4 »

I'd advise patience on eBay. I picked up 5 "untested" ones from there for £40 lately and aside from having to trim down a couple of membrane tails they all work perfectly!

All but one of mine have socketed ULAs (the exception being the issue 3)
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

britain4 wrote:I'd advise patience on eBay. I picked up 5 "untested" ones from there for £40 lately and aside from having to trim down a couple of membrane tails they all work perfectly!

All but one of mine have socketed ULAs (the exception being the issue 3)
Blimey! If you happen not to want one of those...
ZX80
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000