Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Lardo Boffin

Re: My ZX81 project. Advice.

Post by Lardo Boffin »

If you prefer tactile feedback from a keyboard try one of these:

https://www.ginger-electronic.com/en/re ... model-zx81

At the bottom of the page is a regulator replacement that works in the zeddy:

https://www.retroleum.co.uk/spectrum-repairs-mods

Note that Retroleum cannot post outside the UK at the moment thanks to some cyber criminals hacking the Royal Mail.
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
gl3nnium

Re: My ZX81 project. Advice.

Post by gl3nnium »

Thanks for that Lardo Boffin.
Looks like a useful page for the components although I will probably source the regulator and other components from here in New Zealand as much as possible. They seem to be very cheap which is a bonus. I havent posted anything here for a couple of weeks because im wainting on parts to arrive from overseas. (an official power supply and quite a few other things from the UK.) Everything else I can probably find here.
I really like the idea of upgrading to a slightly better keyboard. Ill see how the membrane ones go before I decide. I recall seeing old magazine ads where you bought a completely new housing with a propler commodore 64 style keyboard. I wonder what happened to those? Not sure id like that though because it wouldnt look like a ZX81 anymore.
When I was a kid I remember buying this stick-on keyboard with better buttons that you put over top of the membrane keyboard. From memory it worked surprisingly well for a cheap accessory. Not anywhere near as good as a mechanical keyboard or even a spectrum keyboard. But still much better. A quick google search and I even found this pic of it.
Attachments
stick on keyboard.jpg