Matthias Swatosch's 64K hi-res driver issues

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
djp

Matthias Swatosch's 64K hi-res driver issues

Post by djp »

Not sure if this should be posted under 'Hardware' or 'Software', so please feel free to move if required.

I'm using a ZXpand (ROM version 6.7, firmware 'TROLL 2.62') with my ZX81. All works well (after a good clean up of the expansion port connection!). However, whenever I try to run Matthias Swatosch's (HRG) Demo, the 64K version, it always fails after drawing the second graphic bank with a '2/1024' error. This appears to be related to an 'Internal error' (error code '2'), in relation to the 'filing system data structures', which 'are inconsistent'. I presume this would relate to the SD card? Again, my presumption is that the '1024' relates to the code line of the HRG-64K.P hi-res driver program. Unfortunately I cannot inspect the code as a LIST command reports that the code is hidden.

I've tried using different SD cards, formatted as FAT12, FAT16 and FAT32. Same error with each. I've tried running on the latest release of the sz81 emulator, again, same error.

Does anyone here know how to get the demo to run? Or is it that it just isn't possible with a ZXpand?

Any advice, most appreciated.
Moggy

Re: Matthias Swatosch's 64K hi-res driver issues

Post by Moggy »

I think the clue is in the demo name, 64k.
Matthias web page intimates that a 64k ram pack is needed which is double the size of the ZXpands 32k.

Only a guess on my part though.

I will try this on my own spands just to make sure.
djp

Post by djp »

Ah, Moggy, thank you!

I was confused by the statement on Matthias' web site that said:-
Here is the actual version 2.8 for 16k RAM HRG-16k.p or 32k-64k RAM HRG-64k.p as ZX81 p-file.
I read that to mean I could run 32k-64k RAM programs using the HRG-64K.p file. Obviously it doesn't mean a 64K program will run if my ZX81 only has ...

:oops:

Explains why it gets halfway through and gives up!

:roll:
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

I have tried this on all 7 of my spands, 6 of which are all different issues and get the same result as yourself.
Having seen the first screen of the demo it suddenly seemed familiar and I do recall this working in the past for myself on the spand so I can only assume that the firmware updates over the years have somehow made the spand unusable for the 64demo.

This again is only a guess on my part so if one of the gurus have an answer then please let us know.