Improving Timex/Sinclair Tape Loading

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Danjovic

Re: Improving Timex/Sinclair Tape Loading

Post by Danjovic »

Thanks people for sharing this amazing project. I have routed a couple of boards for this project, being one for use with a box by Hammond, reference 1455C801 and AAA cells but can also be used standalone as it has mounting holes. I have used stereo jacks for input/output as such parts are very easy to find. The layout was drawn from scratch but the circuit was compared with the original several times.
Full sources are included (Eagle 6 and above) in the zip as well as a PDF with schematics, 1:1 view of the board and the components placement map with both values and references.
I hope you all enjoy and please whoever built it post the pictures here.

Best Regards
Danjovic

Board for Hammond Box
Board for Hammond Box
Board for Hammond Box and AAA clip holder
Board for Hammond Box and AAA clip holder
Short PCB
Short PCB
ZXTapeLoader.zip
Schematics and PCB in Eagle and PDF
(326.31 KiB) Downloaded 392 times
TMAOne

Post by TMAOne »

That looks awesome Danjovic.

Lardo Boffin, do you have your prototype unit back yet? Have you had a chance to turn it loose on those tapes you can't get to load normally?

Ian
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Sadly no and no. I will remind Mark at some point. :D
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
TMAOne

Post by TMAOne »

(Poke.)
gammaray

Post by gammaray »

I am going to see if I can make a PCB for the people in the States before anyone else gets further on this...

Shipping is cheaper on the continent.
5-TS1000,UK ZX81<-Sheelagh, US ZX81, 2-TS1500/KDLX , 3-TS2040 printer, 2-TS2020 cassette decks, ZXPAND+AY, ZeddyNET, ZXBlast, UDG, ZX8CCB, AERCO, BUILDS/REPAIRS ZX Spectrum, ZX80 Minstrel, ZXMAX48 v1 v2, 2-TS-2068, ROM, 16kRAM
Papalapa

Post by Papalapa »

The components density on the board is quite low so, most probably a smallest PCB can be done and installed into the ZX81 case, and the voltage taken from the ZX81 itself that will avoid the batteries use.

When I get my ZX8 repaired I'll investigate about this...
TMAOne

Post by TMAOne »

That's a cool idea, but I'm not sure I'd want it inside the case. I use mine as a "sometimes" device for direct dubbing one tape to another, and the rescue of the odd tape that "just won't load". It might be possible to cram it in there; I'm just not sure it's worth the trouble.

Any luck with the PCB gammaray?
TMAOne

Post by TMAOne »

I am concerned about our friend in Texas, gammaray. He was a regular poster on this forum, but hasn't posted anything since February. I hope he's all right. Does anyone know of a way to get in touch with him?

Of secondary importance I am saddened that this "project" (a kit so we could all build a working copy of the tape scrubber/dubber) seems to have waned in enthusiasm. I still have and use my 1-off prototype built in the 80's, and wouldn't trade it for a Nakamichi 1000. (Well, okay,... maybe.) It has "recovered" many an "unloadable" tape, and allowed me to dub perfect copies of C90's for friends wholesale without loading to the ZX81. It's a great little toy, but alas I may be doomed to be the only one who knows it. (Sniff.) If anyone wants to send a problematic tape to me here in Canada, I would gladly attempt to process it and return the result. But far nicer to actually have one in the weapons locker,...
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Sorry, the delay is 100% my fault :oops: . Far too many distractions coupled with rather a lot going on with my work life.

I’ll go poke myself with a ULA hot soldering iron :shock:

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

I'd pay top dollar to see that!! :lol: