Memotech ZX81 keyboard + ZXPand

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Moggy

Re: Memotech ZX81 keyboard + ZXPand

Post by Moggy »

rune wrote:A blue memotech keyboard :o Never knew they made then in anything other than black.

Enjoy!
Both black and white key versions were made.
The blue key one is the earliest incarnation so a real collectors piece there well done. :D
Last edited by Moggy on Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

palmheads wrote:Really happy with this set-up now. Don't think I need anything more! :)

cheers
Daryn

How about the AY unit sit back and listen to the thousands of files available and while away the hours. :lol:

No seriously you have a bonny little set up there and what with the Xpand and all the software that's been created for it I wish you many happy years of zeddiness. :D

Also I think you will find games especially Bob's stuff much more enjoyable with the Memotech.

The only other suggestion I would make is to use a regulated 9V 1.5 to 2 amp power pack in the interests of keeping things cool under the bonnet so to speak, the meagre heat sink gets pretty warm with nigh on 7-8V being dumped by the regulator as heat energy.
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

Yes I would recommend the ZXpand-AY, so you can at least add sound and a joystick interface :D

But I do love that keyboard colour!
palmheads

Post by palmheads »

Hhhmmmm.... ZXpand-AY you say....... haha

Does anyone slightly lie about how much money they spend on stuff to their better halves? I normally divide by 2 in my head when explaining what I paid for something that to others may be utterly pointless! :)

cheers
Daryn
TMAOne

Post by TMAOne »

palmheads wrote:Does anyone slightly lie about how much money they spend on stuff to their better halves?
Guilty.
rune

Post by rune »

palmheads wrote:Hhhmmmm.... ZXpand-AY you say....... haha

Does anyone slightly lie about how much money they spend on stuff to their better halves? I normally divide by 2 in my head when explaining what I paid for something that to others may be utterly pointless! :)

cheers
Daryn
Nah, I get all my kit for buttons...

... gold buttons! :)
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

palmheads wrote:Hhhmmmm.... ZXpand-AY you say....... haha

cheers
Daryn

LIE!!! :o :shock:

You must be joking I tried that just once and learned very quickly that for the sake of ones health it's best not to tell fibs to a retired Burler and Mender from Salts mill, they have very strong arms and a powerful punch. :lol:

These days I just say it's something for car/house/gas boiler etc.
kazas

Post by kazas »

Hello,

I am the happy :-) owner of a zx81, a zx81 chroma interface, a zxpand and a memotech keyboard. Till now i have connected chroma interface at the back of zx81 and zxpand at the back of chroma interface and all works fine. Furthermore i want to connect the memotech keyboard. Is there a specific order to connect the three of them? Which first? Which last?

Thanks in advance,
Rishi

Post by Rishi »

palmheads wrote:Cheers for the advice Moggy & RWAP!

Ok so put a wee plastic key-way/spacer in the gap, so that should be good now.

Still no go with the keys. I realised the Newline/Function key also is not working. So that makes 5 keys (H-J-K-L-NL).

Seeing there are 10 keys in a row, could this be a keyboard matrix issue? Maybe something on the PCB?

Funny, I wanted the Memotech keyboard to safeguard the membrane failing oneday (also have a membrane replacement stored away), but the keyboard has the failing keys issue! haha

cheers
Daryn
I thought i'd respond to this, the ZX81 sends 5 signals sequencially and reads the result on the data-pins (while it is not performing a memory request ~o~ ) , those 5 keys are on the same data-pin, therefore a bad connection would be the case.
32K SRAM WRX compatible, 32Bit IO-Port, ROM Ghost, ZX-Printer.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

kazas wrote:Hello,

I am the happy :-) owner of a zx81, a zx81 chroma interface, a zxpand and a memotech keyboard. Till now i have connected chroma interface at the back of zx81 and zxpand at the back of chroma interface and all works fine. Furthermore i want to connect the memotech keyboard. Is there a specific order to connect the three of them? Which first? Which last?

Thanks in advance,
I don't think there will be a problem if you place the Memotech keyboard interface between the ZX81 and the chroma interface.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.