Strange TS1000 mod, anyone has seen it before?

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
kokkiklhs

Re: Strange TS1000 mod, anyone has seen it before?

Post by kokkiklhs »

Hey, thank you all for your ideas!
I found the seller's email address and wrote a message, asking for details! Hope he answers sooner or later, of course I will update here as soon as i have an answer!!
BTW, someone wondered how can a TIL 111 have 8 pins... well, it hasn't! It's just a 6-pin IC, plugged into an 8-pin socket (last 2 pins unused), the photo is confusing, because the TIL111+socket are glued sideways on the bottom of the TS1000 casing!
Cheers to everybody!!
kokkiklhs

Post by kokkiklhs »

Yeyyyy, the (very kind) Dutchman that sold the machine to me, gave me a reply... so it's not a mystery anymore!!!
VERY COOL idea what he did with it, pity he doesn't remember all the details and he hasn't the rest of the equipment anymore...
Luckily, HE was the one who had made the conversion, so he explained sufficiently!
"So, what was the exact use of this mysterious female jack???", I hear you say...
I quote his text in Dutch, for you to find out!! 8-) :lol:

De jack aansluiting op de Timex heb ik aangebracht om via een converter morse en telexberichten te kunnen ontvangen en te ontcijferen.
Deze signalen kun je opvangen door middel van een kortegolf ontvanger met SSB (Single Side Band).
De converter heb ik niet meer en het is te lang geleden om te achterhalen hoe het precies in z’n werk ging.
Ik weet nog wel dat de signalen op een kleine zwart/wit televisie zichtbaar werden gemaakt.

Anybody who wants details about the exact connections of the hardware inside the TS1000 and more photos, is very welcome to ask!!
;)
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Dit-dit-dah... :lol:

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
user@lab1

Post by user@lab1 »

Hi kokkiklhs, interesting modification... :)
In effect the TIL111 could actuate the PTT of a transceiver, and connectors MIC/EAR of the ZX81 used for encoding/decoding of the audio signal RTTY/CW... I'd like to try the software they used, I wonder if it is still available somewhere...
Anybody who wants details about the exact connections of the hardware inside the TS1000 and more photos, is very welcome to ask!!
I am very interested, what software has been used with this modification?
Thanks.
Mic.
kokkiklhs

Post by kokkiklhs »

user@lab1 wrote:Hi kokkiklhs, interesting modification... :)
In effect the TIL111 could actuate the PTT of a transceiver, and connectors MIC/EAR of the ZX81 used for encoding/decoding of the audio signal RTTY/CW... I'd like to try the software they used, I wonder if it is still available somewhere...
I am very interested, what software has been used with this modification?
Thanks.
Mic.
Just posted a question to the former owner, about the software! Hope he remembers, after all these years! I suppose it was some homebrew program, but let's wait for the answer...
Meanwhile I will take some detailed photos and upload here for everybody to see, about the connections between the TIL111 and the TS1000's PCB!!
Cheers!!
user@lab1

Post by user@lab1 »

Just posted a question to the former owner, about the software! Hope he remembers, after all these years! I suppose it was some homebrew program, but let's wait for the answer...
Meanwhile I will take some detailed photos and upload here for everybody to see, about the connections between the TIL111 and the TS1000's PCB!!
PERFECT!!! :mrgreen:
gammaray

Post by gammaray »

There are two separate circuits. One (as mentioned before) is a reset switch. It is connected to the bus /RESET and GND.

The second seems to be connected to /BUSRQ and GND.

The Flying Dutchman said,

"The jack on the Timex I arranged to receive and decode Morse code via a converter and telexes.
These signals can be intercepted by means of a shortwave receiver with SSB (Single Side Band).
The converter I have not and it's too long ago to find out how it went exactly carried out.
I do remember that the signals were visualized on a small black / white TV."
5-TS1000,UK ZX81<-Sheelagh, US ZX81, 2-TS1500/KDLX , 3-TS2040 printer, 2-TS2020 cassette decks, ZXPAND+AY, ZeddyNET, ZXBlast, UDG, ZX8CCB, AERCO, BUILDS/REPAIRS ZX Spectrum, ZX80 Minstrel, ZXMAX48 v1 v2, 2-TS-2068, ROM, 16kRAM
gammaray

Post by gammaray »

From the photos:
hamcircuit.jpg
hamcircuit.jpg (26.7 KiB) Viewed 5527 times
There is no guarantee that the lines for /BUSRQ and GND actually connect since the we do not see the opposite side of board in this area. It is possible that the wires only go through these through-holes to something else. (The reset switch does this too but we can see it goes to GND and /RESET.)
Last edited by gammaray on Tue May 10, 2016 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5-TS1000,UK ZX81<-Sheelagh, US ZX81, 2-TS1500/KDLX , 3-TS2040 printer, 2-TS2020 cassette decks, ZXPAND+AY, ZeddyNET, ZXBlast, UDG, ZX8CCB, AERCO, BUILDS/REPAIRS ZX Spectrum, ZX80 Minstrel, ZXMAX48 v1 v2, 2-TS-2068, ROM, 16kRAM
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

There must be a resistor between BUSRQ or GND and the diode - otherwise you will have BUSRQ forever.
The forward voltage is given with about 1.2V (with 16mA) and will held voltage level of BUSRQ at low permanently.
gammaray

Post by gammaray »

One possible use for this circuit?
It must be 1979 or 1980 that the NOS (the Dutch radio) started transmitting computer programs over the radio in the program 'Hobbyscoop'. First these programs were for specific machines, such as the TRS-80, the Commodore PET, the Apple-2 or the Exidy Sorcerer. This had two big drawbacks: you had to transmit every program four times and some of the cassette formats didn't survive radio transmission very well.
https://lennartb.home.xs4all.nl/basicode.html