ZX81+35 Clone

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Buka

Re: ZX81 Clone

Post by Buka »

My friend is now doing a clone of ZX80(With the firmware immediately by zx81) on radio parts and in the chips made in the USSR.
Not yet assembled, awaiting delivery of two chips.
The question is - is it possible to buy a replica body ZX80, and preferably cheaper?
"The Earth is just too small and fragile a basket for the human race to keep all its eggs in." ― Robert Anson Heinlein
Elektronika MK61, Psion series 5mx have now. Many years ago had Spectrum 48, 128k/TRDOS and Amiga A600 ...
Paul

Post by Paul »

mahjongg wrote:please keep looking for other errors! :mrgreen:
Well, not really an error report, maybe just a suggestion:
I know a reset button is often implemented the way you did by shortening the capacitor for discharging, but discharging the reset capacitor via a resistor e.g. 100 Ohms, would be preferable for both, the capacitor and the reset button.
By the way, I already sent this suggestion via PM which you havent read by now :cry:
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
mahjongg

Post by mahjongg »

@paul, yes a series resistor will prevent a large inrush current through the reset button, perhaps not really necessary, but a good idea, I will look to see if I have room for it, otherwise the resistor could be put on the keyboard PCB (with the reset buttons).

@Buka, I don't know of any ZX80 clone PCB's you could buy these days, and my ZX81 clone PCB is not yet finished (in working condition).
I am planning to release the Gerber/drill files to the public domain when I have a working ZX81, but it could be some months before that happens.
Buka

Post by Buka »

PCB is not needed, we've been able to do PCB yourself at home. ;)

Need just the body ZX80, for beauty. ;)

I know that this is a simple vacuum-molded plastic.
It cost a little pence, or rubles in the 90s. My brother was doing aircraft models so long ago - using this method.

It seemed to me that I met the announcement of the sale of such body. :?:
"The Earth is just too small and fragile a basket for the human race to keep all its eggs in." ― Robert Anson Heinlein
Elektronika MK61, Psion series 5mx have now. Many years ago had Spectrum 48, 128k/TRDOS and Amiga A600 ...
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

There has been a lot of discussion about producing new ZX80 cases. But I don't recall any being made for sale.
Pokemon did produce and sell a case made out of clear plastic panels cut to size and bolted/screwed together last year (or was it 2013?).

Now that 3D printers have developed a bit more, having a 3D printed ZX80 case may now be possible. But the thickness of the plastic would have to be greater than the vacuum case, otherwise it would not print correctly (distortion during "drying" and printing).

I think I remember the CAD model of a 3D design being developed. But I can't remember where.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Paul

Post by Paul »

It is online at shapeways. You can have it printed there.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
mahjongg

Post by mahjongg »

the thread about replacement cases is here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=752&

I planned to create a case for my ZX81 clone out of laser-cut wood or plastic, I considered 3-D printing, but my case will be at least 16 cm wide, too much for most 3-D printers.

For the vacuum molded case I think it will be more difficult to get the original plastic split-pins for assembling both halves together than the actual molded cases.
Paul

Post by Paul »

No. You can buy the rivets on SellMyRetro.
mahjongg

Post by mahjongg »

indeed you can, remarkable as I have not seen them anywhere else, before or after I saw them on a ZX80, but be aware that they are also selling worthless plastic plugs used to keep IC's falling out of IC tubes as if they were these rivets, and they ask absurd prices for those too.
Is anybody really spending more than 150$ for replica cases?
balford

Post by balford »

I had the ZX80 replica case on Shapeways printed a few months back, which now houses my ZX80Core:

I used the case rivets from SMR to complete the case, and drew some stickers up to approximate the original labelling.

The case finish is a little rough but I'm guessing an acetone bath might help there. I'm happy enough the way it is though.

If anyone needs the sticker file, let me know and I'll host it somewhere.

B