Taking care of a ZX80

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
ZX79

Taking care of a ZX80

Post by ZX79 »

Hello,

I have recently purchased a ZX80 and would like some advice about how best to store it and take care of it long term. I am concerned about the potential for dust and condensation to enter via the expansion port and the risk of over heating. For storage I have thought about using a tupperware type box or a foam lined flight/camera case.

Any advice?

Thanks.
RetroTechie

Re: Taking care of a ZX80

Post by RetroTechie »

Welcome here, ZX79! :)

I don't think there's any special storage requirements for a ZX80, apart from keeping it away from direct sunlight, temperature extremes and moist environments. I keep my retro machines in various types of foam or bubblewrap. What outer box that goes into isn't too interesting imho as long as it protects against bumps, scratches and so forth.

Why would dust be an issue around the expansion port? It's a passively cooled machine, not a PC that sucks up all dust to deposit somewhere on the insides. :lol: Same with condensation - if the environment isn't too moist, then either machine is at ambient temperature & no condensation takes place, or (when running) it's above ambient and no condensation either. Cooling down it goes back to ambient conditions.

As for overheating: simple & quick is to supply the ZX80 with a stabilized ~7V DC source. That way the internal +5V regulator has just enough voltage to do its job, but no voltage above that to 'burn off'. To improve upon that, you could replace that +5V regulator with a low-drop version and lower the input DC voltage accordingly.

For more substantial improvements beyond that, you're looking at replacement of various other IC's in the machine: CMOS Z80, replace logic chips with 74HC(T) versions, etc. For socketed IC's I'd definitely give that a try. But for soldered-in IC's, hmm... a lot of work. And always some risk of damaging the board.
Personally, I'd probably prefer to keep a ZX80 in original state, box it up, and get my hardware / gaming / programming fix some other way (clone / modern replica / FPGA board / emulator / whatever).
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

I think the main things to consider when storing a ZX80 (and any retro computer) are:

a) Anti-static bubble wrap if you can (or at least insulate the machine with paper before wrapping!)
b) Avoid polystyrene foam - the number of QLs and power supplies I have seen where the foam from the original box has simply melted onto the plastic. Mind I have also seen some power supplies which are clearly unused and yet the plastic on the wires looks to be melted somehow
c) Protect from sun-light to avoid the white plastic deteriorating (becoming yellow and brittle)
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Welcome aboard ZX79. :D

I agree with everything said above and would add that a switching regulator of the type found here does wonders for the heat reduction.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/switching ... s/0163451/

Also if your ZX80 is the later issue two "hard"plastic case type, avoid laying the cassette cables next to the case when packing away as they react with each other after a while and give an effect on the case not unlike soldering iron burns.

If like me you are a user rather than a collector then this is also worth a look.

http://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/detail ... -ZX80-3558

One last thing. To keep it looking nice and white keep it away from sunlight as much as possible as in very simple terms,the fire retardant in the plastic reacts with UV light and ends up causing the case to turn a nasty shade of yellow.

EDIT Just seen that Rich has already mentioned it. :oops:
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

Moggy wrote: Also if your ZX80 is the later issue two "hard"plastic case type, avoid laying the cassette cables next to the case when packing away as they react with each other after a while and give an effect on the case not unlike soldering iron burns.
So that's what those two dents were on top of the case of the last one I had - I always thought someone had lain a hot soldering iron on the case by mistake! :lol:
ZX79

Post by ZX79 »

Thank you.

I want to keep it in its original state (and I am not sufficiently adept with a soldiering iron to contemplate any modifications). Like RetroTechie suggested I intend to use an emulator rather than the original.