MIC amplifier

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Moggy

Re: MIC amplifier

Post by Moggy »

mrtinb wrote:I'm still having problems with saving files that can be read again.

I've built Velleman Kit K1803 and used this psu which I think is regulated, but the recordings are still with noise.
image.jpeg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xl68e1v7qe3ni ... 2.m4a?dl=0

Any chance you can post the file here rather than drop box then I may be able to help with identifying the noise problem which I suspect is originating from your source device as this particular pre-amp is one I have used for a long time in studio and live stage situations and can attest to it it being quite noiseless for audio work.

If your files have an element of noise in them to start with then the pre-amp will magnify that noise accordingly, try using a wav created from a P file using a program like wintzx which creates wavs with signal and little if no noise, as opposed to one saved by a zeddy to establish if the noise is created by the 81 or your recording device.

Wintzx found here...

http://www.wintzx.fr/

Also your charger is regulated and the output should be centre positive if the polarity is wrong a loud deep buzz will emanate from the pre-amp and the chip will get hot and burn out.
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

Test.zip
(78.48 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

mrtinb wrote:
Test.zip
What format is this file it just says test with no extension. Rather than a fancy format a simple WAV/MP3 file would be ideal. :D
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

I think it is some kind of video file, at least, that's what the iPad mini says...

There is rather a lot of 50Hz mains hum :(

Martin, are you using screened leads?

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

As you know Mark I'm not the most tech savvy so if you could post the audio part I would be grateful.

As for the leads the input for this pre amp should indeed be screened and short as possible otherwise it will be noisy though oddly enough a twisted pair will usually suffice for the output but screened is better.
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

I zipped the file, because this forum wouldn't upload it if it was MP4.
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

mrtinb wrote:I zipped the file, because this forum wouldn't upload it if it was MP4.

Unfortunately I can't play Mp4 on my ancient system tried installing codec but seems something is missing to play the audio I'm not tech savvy enough with modern computing so in the absence of a simple audio file being posted I'll have to bow out at this point and leave it to Mark. ;)
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Here it is as a zipped FLAC file. I can't create mp3 files on this Linux PC that I am currently using.

Mark
Attachments
ZX81Test.FLAC.zip
(595.76 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Okay, found that the Linux version of Audacity can export mp3... (converted using the default setting)

Mark
Attachments
Test.mp3
(162.04 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Thanks for that Mark. :D

I would say in all certainty that that is not mains hum as such, at least not the kind I have experienced with this pre-amp. I honestly think this is caused by his prime mover IE the phone, tablet or whatever is generating the audio to begin with. I have known cheap guitar effects pedals exhibit the same noise, either that or the stereo to mono "Y" adapter being used is badly wired.

Another thought occurs, if indeed a phone of some description is providing the audio then if the pre-amp is not inside a shielded metal case then the chip/leads may be picking up radio emissions which although outside the audio spectrum can effect unshielded audio devices, like the "Nokia-next-to-crap PC speaker effect"