MIC amplifier

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
mrtinb

MIC amplifier

Post by mrtinb »

I'm having trouble reading the MIC-signal to save from my ZX81. I found a schematic in an old electronics book on how to amplify a signal with a transistor. Maybe I could make a little PCB with two mini jacks and this little circuit to better save my signal.
zx81-amp_schem.png
zx81-amp_schem.png (35.9 KiB) Viewed 4164 times
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
1024MAK

Re: MIC amplifier

Post by 1024MAK »

Um, how does the +5V get to the transistors collector load resistor? Speaking of which, where is the collector load resistor?
I would expect the +5V to go to the collector load resistor, then the other end of this resistor to go to the transistor collector terminal / junction with the base bias resistor (R1).

Also, a BC547/BC548/BC549 (even better with a B or C suffix) are cheaper and do the same thing (these are plastic cased versions of the BC107/BC108/BC109, the gain group is indicated by the letter suffix, C is higher than B, which is higher than A, no suffix letter means ungraded).

You should also include a capacitor in series with the output. The input capacitor (C1) can be a lot lower in value, say 1uF. The output capacitor can be say 10uF. But these are just guesstimates.

Also, I recommend you breadboard it first, so that you can change things if it does not work as expected. Then you can solder one together on strip board or matrix board or whatever.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Have a look at this site. The resistor and capacitor between the emitter and the 0V/GND/ground give more control of the DC gain and provide a bit of negative feedback so that the bias of the transistor is more stable.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

1024MAK wrote:Um, how does the +5V get to the transistors collector load resistor? Speaking of which, where is the collector load resistor?
I would expect the +5V to go to the collector load resistor, then the other end of this resistor to go to the transistor collector terminal / junction with the base bias resistor (R1).
Maybe I've misinterpreted the experiment in this old beginners electronics book.
image.jpeg
(142.07 KiB) Downloaded 667 times
Martin
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Ahh! That circuit is directly driving the ear-piece (earphone). The ear-piece is the load, hence no collector load resistor or output capacitor needed.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

I was thinking about building this little circuit between ZX81 and iPhone, because the signal is too low for the iPhone to record.

I'm not sure about the components' values. And I should probably find a newer cheaper plastic version of the capacitor (which did not exist at the time the diagram was made).
Martin
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

I assumed a earphone could be replaced by a mini jack. It might not be so.
Martin
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

When ever I want to bring a small audio signal up to line level I make something like this,but replacing the 741 shown with something like an NE5534 which is less noisy and has a bit more punch.

Thought to honest such pre-amps are now so inexpensive to buy ready made it's not worth building yourself.
Attachments
design1.gif
design1.gif (2.9 KiB) Viewed 4103 times
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

Moggy wrote:Thought to honest such pre-amps are now so inexpensive to buy ready made it's not worth building yourself.
Like this one? TDA1308 Headphones amplifier board For the Power amplifier Pre-amp amplification use
Martin
XavSnap

Post by XavSnap »

HI,

Juste add two 5v. LEDs, it will protect your iPhone against voltage overloads and product a 5v. scare signal.
On this diagram, it's the Ear signal... but, it the same method on the output signal.
Xavier ...on the Facebook groupe : "Zx81 France"(fr)