Replacement Keyboard Membranes

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
RWAP

Re: Replacement Keyboard Membranes

Post by RWAP »

Just an update on the production of replacement keyboard membranes for the Sinclair ZX81.

The five sample membranes we ordered as an initial batch for testing are now ready and should be sent to me next week.
I can check for quality, but does anyone want one to check they actually work (I don't have a working ZX81).

First one to answer gets one sent....

Rich
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

I'll be happy to test one for you, i have 3 working zx81 maotherboards !

Regards Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

OK Andy - email me your address and as soon as they come in I will send one to you for testing.

Sorry everyone else - you will have to purchase one!
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Please!
yerzmyey

Post by yerzmyey »

Hi, RWAP.

Now I'm going in.
I bought ZX81 at last and 5 last keys don't work (f*ck).
I dunno how to manage whole matter with You, I just caught a glimps on the thread, but if You sell the membranes already - let me know here or to yerzmyey_AT_interia.pl
And if You prefer to test some spare testing-membranes - let me know.

However I'm still not sure how horrible (or not?) way of paying abroad will be.

Thanx, man.
Yerz
IN NIHILUM REVERTERIS - a big text-adventure game for ZX81: http://tiny.pl/g2m6m
"MONOCHROME" issue 5 - (Spring 2014) free paper/PDF magazine about ZX81: http://tiny.pl/q2m44
ZX81 COMPETITIONS 2007/2009: http://zx81.republika.pl/
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

The Membrane arrived today well packed in a cardboard backed DO NOT BEND envelope along with concise and clear instructions that explain how to replace your ZX81 keyboard membrane.

The membrane itself is of very good construction slightly thicker than an original membrane, the tails are approx 15mm longer than an original but they are more sturdy and should allow easier installation than an original, but care must still be taken.
When fitting the membrane care must be taken to have it in the right place first time as it's a very close fit into the ZX81 keyboard recess with little room for error.

One of the first things that i noticed was the new membrane is smoother than an original but this does not impair its usage in anyway, on a down side the small words above and below the keys could do with been a little more bold. There are a few printing errors on this pre-production version all to do with the graphic symbols :-

Graphic on the A key - although correct needs to be clearer (black spots need to be a touch smaller)

Graphic on the S key - Although correct the chequerboard pattern need to be clearer. (black spots need to be a touch smaller)

Graphic on the D key - Checker board pattern is reverse to what it should be. (black spots need to be a touch smaller)

Graphic on the F key - Checker board pattern is reverse to what it should be. (black spots need to be a touch smaller)

Graphic on the G key - Although correct the chequerboard pattern need to be clearer. (black spots need to be a touch smaller)

Graphic on the H key - Checker board pattern is reverse to what it should be. could do with been clearer (black spots need to be a touch smaller)

The outline box on all of the graphic symbols could do with been a little thinner.

Small misprint of the letter 'A' in the word 'ARCTAN' under the D key.

So with the Membrane hooked up to a working ZX81 away we go every key is working as it should and typing with it is just like using an original. No problems playing games that allow (or require) more than 1 key at a time to be pressed.

Build quality 10/10
Print quality 9/10 (leaving aside the faulty graphic symbols that are to be corrected in final run)

Supporting documentation 9/10

Overall 9.5/10

I would highly recommend this keyboard membrane to anyone with a need for a replacement ZX81 membrane.

Regards Andy
yerzmyey

Post by yerzmyey »

Many thanx for the infos and photos, it was most interesting!
IN NIHILUM REVERTERIS - a big text-adventure game for ZX81: http://tiny.pl/g2m6m
"MONOCHROME" issue 5 - (Spring 2014) free paper/PDF magazine about ZX81: http://tiny.pl/q2m44
ZX81 COMPETITIONS 2007/2009: http://zx81.republika.pl/
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

Thanks for the good review - glad to see you picked up the same points as me about the checkerboard pattern.

However, Andy, I am not sure what you mean about the misprint on the A in ARCTAN (there are two letters A remember) - I cannot spot anything on my membrane here!!
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

Hi Rich,

Here are some more detailed pictures

Detail showing misprint.
misprint.jpg
new keyboard showing graphics on keys A to H, Notice how the words above and below are not as bold as the original.
ahgraphicnew.jpg
compared wityh an original keyboard
ahgraphicold.jpg
Regards Andy
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Hiya

Well the membrane went in with no trouble at all. The instructions are clear and accurate. I made sure that I was in a good position to smooth the membrane down as the backing came off, as I knew this would be the most critical part of the process, I didn't want to have to take it up to try a second time!

It's a good copy, taking into account the known issues. My only, and then ever so slight, negative comment is that the new 'brane is slightly brighter than the original which is a tad greyer. Of all Andy's comments the one I'd feel strongest about is the smoother feel. Slight roughness would enhance the originality the most.

I see frome pictures that Andy didn't see sharp printing. There was none of that on the 'brane I fitted. Everything was crisp and clear. I wonder if that one was an early example? It might be worth checking.

I'm chuffed to bits. All in all a top quality product. Congrats, Rich.

My only problem is to decide which '81 to attach it to - unmodded, or modded? :S

/me regards zeddies critically