ZX81 monitor

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
PokeMon

Re: ZX81 monitor

Post by PokeMon »

You may try this - just to solder 5 wires (3 to the main board and 2 for a RCA plug or similar. ;)
http://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/details/3712
bru65pag

Post by bru65pag »

Hello PokeMon.
The ZX8-CCB seems like what I need to connect a recently acquired ZX-81 to a recent computer monitor with VGA and HDMI interfaces.
Reading your explanation on sellmyretro.com: "Video output could be provided outside the case by implementing a 3.5mm jack or similar". So, assuming I implement the suggested 3.5mm jack: Could I then simply buy any cable with a 3.5mm male jack on one hand, and a VGA connector on the other hand to make my ZX81 picture appear on my monitor?
Sorry if it seems like a basic question, but I have ZERO clue on how all these video signals work...
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

With the ZX8-CCB fitted, a ZX81 can output a monochrome (black and white) composite video signal. Most TVs will accept this signal, either via the (normally) yellow coloured phono / RCA / Cinch connector, or via a SCART connector if you either make up your own cable, or use a suitable connector adaptor that has a phono / RCA / Cinch connector.

Composite video signals are 625 line, 50Hz field freq, 15625Hz line freq (in the UK) signals. The same as the old analogue VCRs used.

VGA is a multicolour analogue system, but most VGA monitors and TVs with VGA inputs are not capable of working with 15625Hz line freq signals.

HDMI is a very modern digital standard that was not even dreamed about at the time of the ZX81, let alone invented.... So surprise, surprise, the ZX81 is not compatible.

Most people reuse the phono / RCA / Cinch connector on the modulator, then use a phono to phono cable ;)

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

You need a monitor that has the "round yellow" connector (in picture: VIDEO). The "blue" connector is not sufficient (in picture: PC IN).

Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
bru65pag

Post by bru65pag »

Good evening everybody,

Thanks for your answers. I'm not done yet ;-) My computer monitor has the following connectors:
monitorConnections.jpg
monitorConnections.jpg (11.14 KiB) Viewed 5948 times
Nothing that you guys have mentioned (Beware, the yellow connection you see on the left is for audio). I'm not talking about a TV here, but a monitor. Is there anything I can do, with or without the ZX8-CCB, to have the ZX81 displayed on it?

Thanks again for your support. Bruno.
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

To use that monitor, you need a box of electronics that takes in a composite video signal and which converts it, and outputs a VGA signal (which then goes to your monitor).

This is one I found on eBay http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... ID=EBAY-GB

Note that I have not tried one of these with a ZX81 (yet). It's on my list of things to do when I have lots of free time (which I'm not getting very far with this year so far :( ).

Be careful when searching, as there also exists cheaper versions that take in a VGA signal and output a composite video signal. And some of the sellers descriptions are not very clear on which type they are selling.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
ZX79

Post by ZX79 »

Hello,

Although not a very practical solution to analogue display, there is an all Sinclair solution with a Sinclair Microvision TV.

Huw
Attachments
ZX80 and a Sinclair Microvision 2.JPG
(1.68 MiB) Downloaded 271 times
ZX80 and a Sinclair Microvision 1.JPG
(1.88 MiB) Downloaded 271 times
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

That's pretty cool. :lol:
axtelle

Post by axtelle »

Here you go this may do the trick - take the CV from the ZX81 and connect via Scart to this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382032513687 ... 1436.l2649

then a HDMI to DVI lead to your monitor.
Last edited by axtelle on Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.