Problems with my ZX81s

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
walterg74

Re: Problems with my ZX81s

Post by walterg74 »

1024MAK wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:05 pm As said, the bit of the red solder mask that has come off is not a problem electrically, it is jus cosmetic.

With the green issue 1 board, have you tried cleaning the edge-connector contacts with an eraser? The type that is suitable for ink pens. Or a PCB cleaning block.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I tried cleaning it with alcohol, but there seems to bemetal missing from it, not just dirty. I think it shows in the first of its pics.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

It's hard to see on on the pictures. The contacts are made from copper tracks which have been coated in a tin/lead coating similar to solder.
Alcohol will only remove some contamination. It will not remove all contamination.

It is possible for edge connector contacts to wear through, normally after the tin/lead coating has worn through you can see the harder copper underneath. If this wears through, you would be able to see the fibreglass PCB material. It is not possible to say how common worn out edge-connector contacts are, but I don't remember very many members posting about it.

It's certainly worth a try with a slightly abrasive cleaner.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
gammaray

Post by gammaray »

Alcohol should not be used as it dissolves any aluminized electrical connections like the keyboard ribbon.
5-TS1000,UK ZX81<-Sheelagh, US ZX81, 2-TS1500/KDLX , 3-TS2040 printer, 2-TS2020 cassette decks, ZXPAND+AY, ZeddyNET, ZXBlast, UDG, ZX8CCB, AERCO, BUILDS/REPAIRS ZX Spectrum, ZX80 Minstrel, ZXMAX48 v1 v2, 2-TS-2068, ROM, 16kRAM
RetroTechie

Post by RetroTechie »

For the edge connector, try using clean paper (no ink, fingerprints or 'glossy' layer etc). This acts as a very fine / very mild sandpaper. With no solvent of any kind. 8-) Regular printer paper works well.

At first you'll see the paper catch black dirt, simply continue with another piece of clean paper. After a bit of rubbing you'll see the tinned contacts start to shine again. Well somewhat anyway.. :D

RAM pack etc. might need a few insert / remove cycles after that. But usually this procedure works well for me with tin-plated connectors. Note that connector-dirt may have stuck on the peripherals' connector as well. So try cleaning those connectors too if necessary.
walterg74

Post by walterg74 »

Thanks all, I'lll give it a try, even if it's just to have a replacement board, since without being able to get a working ULA, it's just the same anyway, as I have 2 machines but only one working UlA