Timex Sinclair 1000 bad Ferranti chip. :(

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Waltermixxx

Timex Sinclair 1000 bad Ferranti chip. :(

Post by Waltermixxx »

Purchased a Timex Sinclair on ebay from a guy also in canada, and turns out it did not work.
Turns out to be a bad Ferranti chip. I do have a functioning Timex Sinclair 1000, that I lovingly upgraded to 32K using the 74LS00 nand gate method.
SO I was able to test each chip in the non working Timex Sinclair 1000. Turns out to be the Ferranti chip.

Just wondering if anyone has a spare they can sell? I hate to see this little board go unused.
my plan for it is to upgrade it to 32k as well, but using the 74HC251 method allowing for 8K - 16K hires graphics. :)
in the process of swapping chips and testing i also managed to ruin one of my keyboard membrane keyboard ribbons...
so now if I do get a Ferranti for this machine, i will most likely need to build a keyboard, which should be pretty fun.
i have micro switches with clear keycaps so I can put in the appropriate label on each key. ( I promise to post pictures... )

So just wondering folks, can any one spare a chip? or sell one to me?

please let me know. :)

Cheers. :)
Lardo Boffin

Re: Timex Sinclair 1000 bad Ferranti chip. :(

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Hi

I don't have a spare one but Mutant Caterpillar Games repair zeddys and may have one for sale? It would be worth contacting them even if one is not listed.

http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/

Lardo
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
Waltermixxx

Post by Waltermixxx »

Thank you, I will ask him :)

Cheers. :)
rcade

Post by rcade »

Are you sure it's bad? The old 184 ULA will not display anything on any of my TV's, but the 210 does. They all work on an old TV from the 70's. :)
Waltermixxx

Post by Waltermixxx »

the image produced is all white. :) no k.
tried via rf on channels 2 and 3, and I tried via composite video.
just white screen. Tried 3 different monitors. my other TS1000 works fine.
swapped chips around and everything points to the Ferranti chip

i wont be throwing the chip away, i agreed to give it to the gentleman from Mutant Catapillar if he was able to
sell me one. :) no trade value, just give it to him to have (incase it's just me... lol)

:) but I am quite certain it's not working :) a working ferranti from my other ts1000 works fine in either ts1000 :)

cheers... :)