Dung out my old TS1000

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
msansom

Dung out my old TS1000

Post by msansom »

Guys,

I dug out my old TS1000, which was my first computer. I got it in 1982. See pics below. It was working when last powered up, which would have been in the mid 1980s. I believe this is an issue 1 PCB and I assume a early ULA. What can you guys tell me about it?

I have a couple of TS1016 16k ram packs. One from the UK and one from Portugal. I assume that one built in the UK was the first one I bought with the computer.

I'd like to set it up for a composite video output. There appear to be several circuits for this, anyone recommend which they like best? Also, I understand that the early ULAs didn't make the best composite signal (no back porch). Should I think about getting a later ULA?

I'm going to swap out the two electrolytic caps and I may swap out the 2kx8 static ram for something larger if I can find something lying around. Can I go all the way to 64kx8 in that socket?

Any suggestions for mods I'd love to hear.

Thanks,
TS1000 PCB Bottom Medium.jpg
TS1000 PCB Bottom Medium.jpg (134.21 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
TS1000 PCB Top Medium.jpg
TS1000 PCB Top Medium.jpg (153.79 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
TS1000 Case Bottom Medium.jpg
TS1000 Case Bottom Medium.jpg (116.74 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
I'd like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we've passed the audition.
siggi

Re: Dung out my old TS1000

Post by siggi »

If you are familiar with soldering, you can of course have 56KB or more ram and USB within a Zeddy. Currently this has be done by Kai:
http://forum.tlienhard.com/phpBB3/viewt ... f=2&t=2152

Regards
Siggi
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
http://zx81.ddns.net/ZxTeaM
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

I wonder if all TS1000 had a metallized case.
FCC rules have been maybe harder than the DBP (Deutsche Bundespost). 8-)
gammaray

Post by gammaray »

Looks like an additional finned heatsink was added. Luckily nowadays the 7805 can be replaced with a switching regulator. I was able to make space in the case by removing the heatsink afterwards.

I like the ZX8CCB video modification, as I added the switch to select normal or inverted video to reduce eyestrain.

Now if someone would make a selectable color composite mod for picking amber, green or blue, red... (not chroma it is great but expensive)

Maybe I should just find one of these old monitors...
5-TS1000,UK ZX81<-Sheelagh, US ZX81, 2-TS1500/KDLX , 3-TS2040 printer, 2-TS2020 cassette decks, ZXPAND+AY, ZeddyNET, ZXBlast, UDG, ZX8CCB, AERCO, BUILDS/REPAIRS ZX Spectrum, ZX80 Minstrel, ZXMAX48 v1 v2, 2-TS-2068, ROM, 16kRAM
gammaray

Post by gammaray »

I wonder if all TS1000 had a metallized case.
All mine are...
5-TS1000,UK ZX81<-Sheelagh, US ZX81, 2-TS1500/KDLX , 3-TS2040 printer, 2-TS2020 cassette decks, ZXPAND+AY, ZeddyNET, ZXBlast, UDG, ZX8CCB, AERCO, BUILDS/REPAIRS ZX Spectrum, ZX80 Minstrel, ZXMAX48 v1 v2, 2-TS-2068, ROM, 16kRAM
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

gammaray wrote:I like the ZX8CCB video modification, as I added the switch to select normal or inverted video to reduce eyestrain.

Now if someone would make a selectable color composite mod for picking amber, green or blue, red... (not chroma it is great but expensive)

Erm, I can't give you multicolour from a "standard" Zeddy, but if you have a "TV" frequency standard CRT monitor (like a Philips CM8833 or similar) or in Europe, a TV with a RGB compatible SCART socket, you can choose one of about seven colours for the screen to be displayed in...

Not actually tried this with a ZX81, but have with some other computers.

You do need a ZX8CCB video modification or similar composite video modification. And be able to solder wires, switches, resistors and make custom cables :P

I'll best go and try it first, before I post the details. Please be patient, as work and real life are keeping me busy, so you may have to wait for about two weeks...

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
gammaray

Post by gammaray »

You spoil me!

To clarify, not multicolored but say green text on black background OR amber on black OR blue on black...

I suppose black text on a colored background would also possible...

"R G B" monitor would give Red Green or Blue I guess using the luminence signal into BNC connection? I have never owned one of these but there's Ebay...

Thanks.

BTW Is it possible to use too many ellipsis?...
msansom

Post by msansom »

gammaray wrote:Looks like an additional finned heatsink was added. Luckily nowadays the 7805 can be replaced with a switching regulator. I was able to make space in the case by removing the heatsink afterwards.

I like the ZX8CCB video modification, as I added the switch to select normal or inverted video to reduce eyestrain.

Indeed, someone did add an additional finned heatsink .... me back in 1982 ;)

She ran a bit hot and I didn't like it. I added that heatsink and added a few forward biased diodes in the positive lead of the wall transfomer to drop the voltage down to something below 8 volts. It did help. I think the mains voltage at our house was on the high end of normal because I remember that wall transformer putting out something like a smidge over 11 volts or so.
I'd like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we've passed the audition.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

gammaray wrote:BTW Is it possible to use too many ellipsis?...
Never! :lol:

Yes, black on red/blue/green/yellow/cyan/magenta (one of these), or if using circuitry that inverts the picture (ZX8CCB), red/blue/green/yellow/cyan/magenta on black :P

Other colours are possible by using extra circuitry.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

msansom wrote:...I remember that wall transformer putting out something like a smidge over 11 volts or so.
ZX81 PSU's often output around 11V :lol:

They are an "unregulated" type, so unless supplying the full rated output current, the output voltage will be above the "nominal" 9V. When not connected to a ZX81 / TS1000, the output voltage is between 14.5V and 16V.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!