TS1000 ULA vs ZX81 ULA

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Moggy

Re: TS1000 ULA vs ZX81 ULA

Post by Moggy »

Having done the resistor thing mentioned in the other thread listed above I can confirm it works wonderfully, the only difference being the zeddy runs slightly slower at 60Hz.

Just to annoy Mark PAL PAL PAL PL PAL PAL PAL NTSC NTSC NTSC PAL PAL PAL! :lol:
siggi

Post by siggi »

Moggy wrote: Just to annoy Mark PAL PAL PAL PL PAL PAL PAL NTSC NTSC NTSC PAL PAL PAL! :lol:
Since "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" (resp. the German translation) "PAL" has a new meaning (at least in Germany): "Problem anderer Leute":
https://www.spreadshirt.de/pal+problem+ ... -A21425152

In English it is not NTSC, but SEP: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somebody_else%27s_problem :mrgreen:

So if you install a PAL field generator next to the resistor, it is no more your problem :D

Siggi
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
http://zx81.ddns.net/ZxTeaM
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Eines Tages werde ich verstehen, deutscher Humor. :?
desiv

Post by desiv »

Moggy wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:42 pm Having done the resistor thing mentioned in the other thread listed above I can confirm it works wonderfully, the only difference being the zeddy runs slightly slower at 60Hz.
My lack of technical understanding will show up here, but why slower?
Aren't there 100 more lines to refresh in 50Hz mode and woudln't that affect anything?
I come from this in the Amiga world, where the PAL Amiga runs a tad faster clock wise (7.16 compared to 7.14), but programs (games) run faster on an NTSC Amiga (I was guessing because it had fewer lines to draw)???
Just wondering...
As I just got my USA model ZX81/TS1000 machines, I haven't had time to test any programs.
Are there many games that won't even run on a USA model (like the NTSC Amiga won't run a bunch of PAL games)?

Thanx!
(That also does make me wonder if I should put a switch (or can I re purpose the channel 3/4 switch after a composite mod) to flip from 50Hz/60Hz?)
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

As far as the computer logic side goes, the only significant difference between a 50Hz and a 60Hz screen display is the frequency of the system redrawing the video / TV screen. In a ZX80, ZX81, TS1000 and TS1500 the Z80 CPU actually gets the data from the memory for the ULA. The ULA converts the data from parallel form to a series of single bits suitable for forming into a video signal. By redrawing, I mean sending data from memory so that the video / TV display gets the required analogue signal so that a picture is displayed.

The same 6.5MHz clock oscillator is used regardless of which TV system is used. So the Z80 CPU runs at the same speed. Indeed in FAST mode, the speed of processing is about the same.

However, the more frequently the screen needs redrawing, the less time there is for the Z80 CPU to run your program. Because it is spending more time suppling screen data bytes to the ULA.

More complex computers have systems that generate and service the video or TV screen without the CPU being involved. For example, you can HALT the Z80 CPU in a ZX Spectrum and the display system will still produce a picture. If you HALT the Z80 CPU in a ZX80, ZX81, TS1000 or TS1500, the display will go blank (the same as using FAST mode).

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Vertical Timings (50Hz)
Upper Blanking ..... 11592 cycles ..... 56 scanlines (7 charlines)
Display Area ........ 39744 cycles .... 192 scanlines (24 charlines)
Lower Blanking . ca.11592 cycles . ca. 56 scanlines (or a bit less)
Vertical Retrace ..... 1235 cycles .. ca. 6 scanlines

Vertical Timings (60Hz)
Upper Blanking ...... 6624 cycles ..... 32 scanlines (4 charlines)
Display Area ........ 39744 cycles .... 192 scanlines (24 charlines)
Lower Blanking . ca. 6624 cycles . ca. 32 scanlines (or a bit less)
Vertical Retrace ..... 1235 cycles .. ca. 6 scanlines
Above table taken from this web page.

The screen area usable by BASIC programs is the same. If a machine code program uses the ROM display system, the same applies. Only machine code programs that have their own video display system can have a different size area for picture information. Although apart from demos, the size if different is usually smaller.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
desiv

Post by desiv »

Thanx for that info!!!
<voice in my head: Why don't you tell them that you don't understand what they said?>
<me: shut up.. I'll figure it out eventually.>
;-)
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

I’ve had that internal discussion going on for years now...

In all aspects of my life. :D
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

To put it another way...

<waits for confirmation that you want me to continue...>

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
desiv

Post by desiv »

OK...
After re-reading a bit:
The screen area usable by BASIC programs is the same. If a machine code program uses the ROM display system, the same applies.
I think I get it!!!!

Now it is making me think that if the monitor I plan on using these with is happy with 50Hz, I might convert my units to that.
(I can test that with my Amiga 1200.. I think I have used my 1200 on that monitor in PAL and it worked (in monochrome obviously) with some tweaking of the vertical hold, but that was a long time ago..)
And I might even look at a switch...
Of course, I have a lot to do just to get them working and happy before that, but it is tempting.. ;-)

Thanx!