Composite to HDMI Converter

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
msansom

Composite to HDMI Converter

Post by msansom »

Does anyone have a composite to HDMI converter that they like or know of any unit in particular that should be avoided?

Assume that the composite video will be made with a ZX-Vid or ZX-CCB modification. And, I might go ahead and convert my TS1000 to PAL while I'm at it.

Thanks,
I'd like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we've passed the audition.
zx81jens

Re: Composite to HDMI Converter

Post by zx81jens »

Hey msansom!

I bought that one a while ago (german Amazon) and it works perfect with the ZX81 via ZX-Vid, ZX-CCB and the Standard-Video-mod ( http://www.zx81.de/english/video_e.htm )

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01M6VWOCQ/ref ... RybPJK8NTF

Greetings
Jens
eyerything will be okay in the end.
if it´s not okay, it´s not the end.

and: uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ɹǝʌǝ ɹǝʌǝu ןןıʍ ı
msansom

Post by msansom »

Thanks Jens!

That converter is also available on the US Amazon site.

I assume it would work equally well for a Spectrum? (Can't think of any reason it wouldn't).
I'd like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we've passed the audition.
dasteph

Post by dasteph »

For PAL, be careful with any converter that only lists PAL M, PAL N. Ideally you want a device that specifically states PAL B and PAL I at the very least. That counts out most of the cheep Chinese ones on Ebay.

I've not tried and composite to HDMI converters, but numerous composite to VGA converters. And if they don't list PAL B and PAL I, I've found them to be useless on a ZX81 with a composite mod. On the other hand if you're using NTSC on a Timex 1000, then any old converter that lists NTSC does work (this includes the cheep ones that stated PAL and NTSC but didn't work with the ZX81s PAL signal).
msansom

Post by msansom »

I'd never even heard of PAL M till your post. The illegitimate offspring of NTSC and PAL. Interesting.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep a look out.
Paul

Post by Paul »

msansom wrote:Thanks Jens!

That converter is also available on the US Amazon site.

I assume it would work equally well for a Spectrum? (Can't think of any reason it wouldn't).
Yes, I know it works with all his Color and bw computers.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
msansom

Post by msansom »

Thanks guys.

I ordered that Swees converter. Should have it Saturday.

If you look on Amazon and other sources, you see a lot of mechanically nearly identical Composite -> HDMI converters. All the jacks and switches are in the same locations and the specs look the same. I highly suspect they are coming out of the same factory in China.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

msansom wrote:I'd never even heard of PAL M till your post. The illegitimate offspring of NTSC and PAL. Interesting.
A list of the various analogue systems is here ;-)

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
dabwolf

Post by dabwolf »

msansom wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:05 pm Does anyone have a composite to HDMI converter that they like or know of any unit in particular that should be avoided?

Assume that the composite video will be made with a ZX-Vid or ZX-CCB modification. And, I might go ahead and convert my TS1000 to PAL while I'm at it.

Thanks,
I use this product to convert my SNES to work with my HDTV and it works great. https://bzbexpress.com/CON-AV-HD4K-Comp ... exPro.html
TMAOne

Post by TMAOne »

eBay is full of ones like this from China.
AVtoHDMI (600 x 600).jpg
AVtoHDMI (600 x 600).jpg (44.86 KiB) Viewed 16000 times
Some folks avoid the Chinese stuff like the plague, but for the price it's hard to go wrong. I use one with my Texas Instruments TI-99/4A, which is rather demanding--the "composite" video is taken from a cable that was meant to feed an outboard modulator, and is a little quirky. The Net is full of folks (me included) who found composite-to-VGA converters wouldn't work on such a beast. Now I use one of these in conjunction with an HDMI-to-VGA converter. The double conversion works for the TI99/4A.
IMG_0279 (600 x 450).jpg
IMG_0279 (600 x 450).jpg (91.51 KiB) Viewed 16000 times
Caution: Be SURE to read the ad carefully and examine the picture closely. There are a great many HDMI-to-composite converters that look exactly the same, and our Chinese friends are not always completely careful about their listing titles and descriptions. Convince yourself six ways from Sunday that you're not accidentally ordering the opposite of what you want.

Ian