New find zx81 and updates

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
craftsman1234

New find zx81 and updates

Post by craftsman1234 »

Well a week ago I was able to pick up a zx81 to go with my TS1000 (original owner).

I ordered parts for it to upgrade it to composite video and 16k internally. All the parts came by Friday. So I was up really late hacking it all together.

Some interesting things found inside.

Attached to the bottom of the keyboard. Appears to be some type of buzzer. It was not connected. Anyone know what program used it? The prior owner mainly had business software.

Made up the Composite video based on the 555 and added turn based pots like on the zxvid board.

Then after getting the rf box reattached to the board an wired up and found it was working I adjusted the pots for a nice view. I then followed up with the 16k internal expansion. It was a bit more of a pain as there was a trace on the tip of the board I missed cutting. 4 total were needed. 1 on top and 3 on the bottom. Required removing the socket I had just put in.

Before the clean up.

and all up and running today.

I did the upgrade on the video to allow me to use the zx81 with my Dell monitors but found an interesting problem. They won't sync correcty for any hires screen or PAL game. Bummer. Lucky as seen in the above image it does work my little TV.
ZX81 / TS-1000. Commodore 128DCR/SuperCPU/Ramlink, 64, PETs, Plus/4 C16, Vic-20, COCO, TI/99
sirmorris

Re: New find zx81 and updates

Post by sirmorris »

Good job!
Tezz

Post by Tezz »

Good stuff, I've made a few of the 555 based Composite video boards too, do you have a details of adding the turn based pots? That was something that I wanted to get around to asking advice on here :)
craftsman1234

Post by craftsman1234 »

Tezz wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:43 pm Good stuff, I've made a few of the 555 based Composite video boards too, do you have a details of adding the turn based pots? That was something that I wanted to get around to asking advice on here :)
The 555 design came from JoulesperCoulomb YouTube videos. On his design there are 4 resisters. I replaced the 68 and 56 ohm resisters with 100 ohm pots. For me R4 the 56 ohm did the more adjustment to the output. The POTs do cause some issues with it fitting in the RF shield. I don't really know what adjustments are at now.

I set the pots to the same values to start but have no idea what they are at now. I wish I could test it out more but the zx81 still has the original keyboard and close to failing. In the future I may relocate the pots to just under the keyboard and drill to small holes to allow adjustment when it is all closed up.
ZX81 / TS-1000. Commodore 128DCR/SuperCPU/Ramlink, 64, PETs, Plus/4 C16, Vic-20, COCO, TI/99
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

His PDF to go with his video is here ;)

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
zx81jens

Post by zx81jens »

I think the Buzzer could be some sort of Keysound to get a response when typing...

Greetings
Jens
eyerything will be okay in the end.
if it´s not okay, it´s not the end.

and: uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ɹǝʌǝ ɹǝʌǝu ןןıʍ ı
Tezz

Post by Tezz »

craftsman1234 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:44 pmThe 555 design came from JoulesperCoulomb YouTube videos. On his design there are 4 resisters. I replaced the 68 and 56 ohm resisters with 100 ohm pots. For me R4 the 56 ohm did the more adjustment to the output. The POTs do cause some issues with it fitting in the RF shield. I don't really know what adjustments are at now.

I set the pots to the same values to start but have no idea what they are at now. I wish I could test it out more but the zx81 still has the original keyboard and close to failing. In the future I may relocate the pots to just under the keyboard and drill to small holes to allow adjustment when it is all closed up.
Thanks for the details. Did you have issues with the output on your TV/s with the documented design? I was concerned that POTs were included with other solutions perhaps as a necessity and Alastairs (JoulesperCoulomb) documented design would not always provide a suitable output on some TVs.
1024MAK wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:19 pm His PDF to go with his video is here ;)
Mark
Thanks Mark, that's the guide I followed to build them, if you recall a few months back with the first one I put together I didn't cut through the tracks properly in a couple of places :D
craftsman1234

Post by craftsman1234 »

Tezz wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:27 am
Thanks for the details. Did you have issues with the output on your TV/s with the documented design? I was concerned that POTs were included with other solutions perhaps as a necessity and Alastairs (JoulesperCoulomb) documented design would not always provide a suitable output on some TVs.
I am out putting to an LED display. It did work with my old TV but a bit dark even adjusting it. I could not really play too much with it due to the keyboard. Just had to look at the "K". I could see it t least. Before with the RF it was almost black.

My TS1000 has the transistor/resister simple circuit in it and it works pretty well. It seems to be hit and miss with different TVs.

I'll probably build another one for the TS-1000.
Tezz

Post by Tezz »

Thanks, I've only tried mine on a 1999 CRT TV that I have in the back room which gave a very good output. I should take a look on the modern LED TVs that I have in the house too to see how it fairs.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Ahh LED TVs. That actually use LCD technology for the display. The LED name only refers to white LEDs being used in place of cold cathode tubes used for the back lighting for the LCD.

Well done the TV marketing departments for misleading customers...

From Wikipedia
An LED-backlit LCD is a flat panel display which uses LED backlighting instead of the cold cathode fluorescent (CCFL) backlighting used by most other LCDs. LED-backlit LCD TVs use the same TFT LCD (thin-film-transistor liquid-crystal display) technologies as CCFL-backlit LCD TVs. Picture quality is primarily based on TFT LCD technology, independent of backlight type. While not an LED display, a television using this display is called an LED TV by some manufacturers and suppliers. In the UK, the Advertising Standards Authority has made it clear in correspondence that it does not object to the use of the term LED TV, but requires it to be explained in advertising.
LCD TVs sample the incoming analogue signal and convert it to a digital signal. Unlike CRT TVs which use the analogue signal to drive electron gun(s).

How well (or not) a modern TV does with the output of a 1980s computer depends more on the design of the analogue to digital conversion and subsequent digital processing than anything else.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.