zx81 48k memory.

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
spodula

zx81 48k memory.

Post by spodula »

Hi, Having recently got a zx81 (And a replacement keyboard, thanks Mr Rwap :D ) , I am interested in building a Ram pack for it. Now i have a couple of 128K sram chips around (being unable to buy only one of anything , :D ), and was wondering what the difficulties of creating 48k.

Now I know by default the zx81 will only use 16K of ram, but i have vaigue memories from years ago of the upper 32k of the memory map being used for other things,

However, i see that the old Memopacks managed it, so there must be a way.

So my questions are:

1: Is the upper ram are actually used? or is it just incompletely decoded.
2: If it is, can i get away with doing something like disabling my new upper 32k when an interrupt is occuring?

Thanks..
Mike3

Re: zx81 48k memory.

Post by Mike3 »

Look in the Thread "32k 62256 mem mod help" in this same index "hardware" maybe there is something there you could use...

Regards.. Mike
spodula

Post by spodula »

Alas, that mod doesnt use the $8000-$bfff area, i assume because it uses the internal RamCS signal.
It looks a lot like the Rom appears at that location, so i may have to disable that.

I think i shall just try it and see.
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Have you seen this thread?

viewtopic.php?t=178

Charlie
spodula

Post by spodula »

Ta. I shall take a look. I'm currently on a concerted effort to fix all my old computers while i have a few free days, so I will take a look at it in a bit..
ksng36

Post by ksng36 »

Hello All,

It seems lately alot of folks are interested in adding more memory to the ZX81/TS1000's. It's a healthy sign that this computer still has value!! And alot of questions have been asked along the way. To keep disappointment down to a minimum, I have attached a zip file containing a study of the memory circuit designed by Wilf in his article on his website entitled "Thanks for all the Memories". First, go to his website (http://www.user.dccnet.com/wrigter/) and review his article. Next, download and unzip my study and review it along with his article. Doing both should help clear up the questions. Lastly, if you keep in mind that the address lines can be used as chip select lines, then most anything is possible to control, whether it's a memory module, printer interface, keyboard interface, etc.

Several other sources that are helpful are the following books: The INS and OUTS of the Timex TS1000 & ZX81 by Don Thomasson and The Explorer's Guide to the ZX81 and Timex Sinclair 1000 by Mike Lord. These are obviously both out of print, which means you'll have to try Ebay or something to find them, but I found myself referring back to them often when working out a hardware design.

Feedback concerning the zipped files would be grateful as it helps to know the audience.

Cheers!!

ksng36
Attachments
ThanksforAlltheMemories_Support.zip
Support files for Thanks for all the Memories article on Wilf's website
(8.21 KiB) Downloaded 472 times
XavSnap

Post by XavSnap »

Hi,
Something's wrong???

Xavier ...on the Facebook groupe : "Zx81 France"(fr)
siggi

Post by siggi »

XavSnap wrote:Hi,
Something's wrong???
Yes: the "ZX81-16K RAMPACK" contains 64K ram ;)

Siggi
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
http://zx81.ddns.net/ZxTeaM
XavSnap

Post by XavSnap »

Oooops !
:lol:
Yes ! It's a "Mega-16k rampack".
Xavier ...on the Facebook groupe : "Zx81 France"(fr)
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Unless you're a serious developer anything more than 32k is pointless. For a casual user 32k is useful as it enables hires programs of all types as long as it sits 8..40k. And you can play Xav's 32k graphic adventures in all their glory!

The upcoming SD-card/RAM board will be configured this way.

C