TS2040 Photos!

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
dessony

TS2040 Photos!

Post by dessony »

Hello everybody,

I was curious about whether the TS2040 has its own belt. So, I decided to open it up then take a few photos of the certain printer and its innards. Surprise! NO BELT at all! :lol:

Thank you very much in advance.

Cheers,
DesSony
Attachments
Motherboard - top view
Motherboard - top view
EPROM
EPROM
Printer motor area
Printer motor area
Printer head section
Printer head section
TS2040 Bottom case
TS2040 Bottom case
Moggy

Re: TS2040 Photos!

Post by Moggy »

That's right no flimsy belt, no puny styli,just a motor idler gear and platen. The paper slides under the platen to the fixed print head which has a matrix of small dimples/points/dots which when heated in the correct sequence cause the thermal paper to react accordingly and hey presto words appear.
dessony

Post by dessony »

TS2040's print head is vibrating sideways, not fixed! Someday, I will video its print head movement then post it here.

DesSony
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Thermal printers are in the main fixed head,when possessing a full matrix of dots/dimples.
The Alphacom/Timex being a relatively cheap device has an equally cheap head without a full compliment of dots so there is a need to shuffle the head slightly side to side to make up for a deficient matrix, so a semi floating head would be a better term in this printers case as it doesn't move the full width of the paper.

Apologies for not making this clear by using a general description of thermal printers instead of this specific model. :oops:
siggi

Post by siggi »

Maybe you should replace that big electrolytic capacitor by a new one .....

Siggi
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
http://zx81.ddns.net/ZxTeaM