ZX81 Some keys not working

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
repetto74

ZX81 Some keys not working

Post by repetto74 »

Hi Guys,

Desperate to have the ZX81 keyboard to be fully functional. The strip connector was in a very bad shape at the time I picked this unit up and though this was the issue so I bought a fresh new keyboard from SellMyRetro but after installing, cleaning the strip connectors and put some fresh solder onto the original solder joints I still have some keys not working (ie key3, keyG...). Is this a bad ULA symptom or is any test or fix I can try out? :cry:

Thanks,
Rick
1024MAK

Re: ZX81 Some keys not working

Post by 1024MAK »

Can you please list all the keys that don’t work.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
repetto74

Post by repetto74 »

Here it is Mark,

Keys 3,8,E,I,D,K,X,M. Any Shifted function on those keys will not work also.
3,E,D and X are more or less aligned on the keyboard and same for 8,I,K and M.
dessony

Post by dessony »

Repetto74,

Try cleaning a 5 pins strip connector with some very fine emery sandpaper. If not working then buy a new set of connectors.

DesSony
repetto74

Post by repetto74 »

Hi Dessony,

The strip connector is not the problem I think because I cleaned it with contact spray already.
dessony

Post by dessony »

Does your computer show its white "K" and its black square on the white screen? Can you touch an end of a wire on a middle pin of the 5 pins connector and another end of the wire on one pin of your own choice of the 8 pins connector and check the result on the screen?

Maybe you have to evaporate some flux off the 5 pins connector and leave some shiny solder and wash some flux with contact spray or some rubbing alcohol.

DesSony
repetto74

Post by repetto74 »

Yes I do see the 'K' prompt and all keys are working except the one listed on my reply above. Did not try to short the 2 connectors still but will test this as soon as possible. I have also refluxed the solder joint on the back for both connectors.
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

It is possible that the membrane has a fault - but the first thing to check is to short the 5 way connector with the 8 way using a piece of wire.

Also check that are no pieces of the old membrane inside either connector (sometimes a tiny sliver is left behind). The pins on the connectors can also become damaged or corroded so there can be several reasons.
repetto74

Post by repetto74 »

Hi Rwap,

Bad luck if this new keypad has a defective strip. The reason why I replaced the keypad was the original strip in a very bad shape and broken in some areas resulting in keys not working. Cannot remember if the non working ones are the same as now. I will test both connector with a wire and see the result.
XavSnap

Post by XavSnap »

zxclavier.jpg
zxclavier2.jpg
Xavier ...on the Facebook groupe : "Zx81 France"(fr)