ZX81 mods: USB power, CVideo, 32K, MP3

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
jbuur

ZX81 mods: USB power, CVideo, 32K, MP3

Post by jbuur »

Hi All,

After 30 odd years since getting rid of my ZX81 with wobbly 16K RAM pack I recently bought another one back from Ebay; the photo's showed a bit of a sorry state but when on arrival it was actually in rather good condition. I thought I document some of the mods I did in case some of you are pondering the same. I have attached a couple of photos to clarify.

USB Power: the dapper ZX81 gets a little warm with that small heatsinked 7805 and a busy ULA. After I did the 32K RAM upgrade (see below) I measured ~270mA at full load, well within the range of a typical USB device. I made a USB to 3.5mm jack cable, removed the 7805, soldered a fuse holder to the edge of the PCB (routed out an isolated space in the 7805 heatsink island) and included a 5.6V Zener diode between the + and ground. It runs happy and cool from any USB source and the Zener and fuse will save the day when somebody tries to plug in 9V :-)

32K RAM upgrade: see PDF, these are great and easy to follow instructions from TOKABLN. I added 1K RAM sockets to the PCB to keep the option of going back to stock and one of them conveniently holds a 74LS00 for the additional selection logic

Composite Video: See the excellent tutorial from JoulesperCoulomb on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1irH3KuGyl0). I removed the innards from the original modulator and fitted the new replacement circuit board inside. It works perfectly, really happy with the picture quality (even for the old ULA without the back porch signalling)

Power and Reset: Reset is a matter of shorting the right electrolytic capacitor to ground and +5V is available from many convenient points. I made a detachable flat cable connection between PCB and shell. I drilled 2x 1.5mm holes in the top right corner of the shell and glued a red LED and tactile switch beneath them. When powered up it shows a nice pinhole red light and for a reset I use a paperclip :-)

MP3: I am sure you came across this frustration as well, the iffy loading from "tape". I didn't want to connect a bulky cassette recorder and I couldn't get it to load anything through the various devices I tried (MP3 players, phone, headphone outputs etc). After a closer look with the scope I devised a little circuit to shape the typical mp3 player output signal. It uses a LM358 opamp as a non-inverting amplifier to amplify the positive side of the audio signal and drive an AND gate. The AND gate produces a nice square wave that is used for input to the ULA (see scope screenshot). I disconnected C10 from the 3.5mm EAR input and connected the latter straight to the LM358 input. The AND gate output is connected to C10. I use zxtools p2raw and Audacity to convert .p -> RAW -> MP3. Even with a low bit rate of 64Kbits loading of any program works every time.

Hope this helps anyone'; just ping if you have any questions, happy to help!

Cheers,

Jochen
Attachments
DSC_7388.JPG
DSC_7387.JPG
DSC_7386.JPG
DSC_7385.JPG
DSC_7378.JPG
Daeve

Re: ZX81 mods: USB power, CVideo, 32K, MP3

Post by Daeve »

Very helpful, lots of ideas from that!
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

@jbuur‬

Some wonderful modifications there Jochen 8-)
Nice work :D

Don’t see a PDF attachment or link though...

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

The 32K mod certainly looks interesting. :D
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
Daeve

Post by Daeve »

1024MAK wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:04 pm
Don’t see a PDF attachment or link though...

Mark
I think it’s this.. http://www.8bit-wiki.de/index.php?id=3& ... 23d8020000
jbuur

Post by jbuur »

Apologies, messed up with the 32K RAM option there!

I did look at that particular PDF but in the end decided to follow these instructions (I didn't include the battery backup though):

http://www.zx81.de/english/32k-rame.htm

Cheers,

Jochen
kokkiklhs

Post by kokkiklhs »

Hello Jochen, nice mods you made there! I have already tried all of them myself, except of the MP3/sound input mod with the LM358... Very very interesting, it will be a major improvement to be able to load flawlessly from external sound source!!!
8-)
Could you please give a bit more detailed instructions (I mean pin-to-pin connections, complete components list, perhaps bigger photos etc.), as I am not much into electronics theory and I'm not sure I completely understood your schematic...
Also, if some other fellow here in the forum has tried this mod, could he explain in a little more detailed fashion?
TIA
Spinnetti

Post by Spinnetti »

Brilliant mods!

USB power sounds ideal. Are the fuse and zener required for that to work?

Thanks!
Zeddy: ZX80, ZX81/ZXpand, TS1000/ZXpand, TS1500/Zxpand+
Speccy: 48k, +, +2, +3, TS2068, "Bare Metal" Pi, Next KS2, IF1/Microdrives/Vdrive/Light Gun/VGA-Joy
QL: Minerva/QL-VGA/Custom PSU
C5: 24v, LiFE battery, Disc brakes